VOGONS

First post, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as i know, Windows 98 has a Generic Soundblaster Pro Emulation build-in.

I installed an AC97 Driver for my onboard Sound (Soundmax, ADI - Chip)
and can run some Dos games in Windows-Dosbox. (command prompt)

Win98 emulates a SB Pro with A220 I5 D1.

Tested a few Games:

Working:
Need for Speed 1
Destruction Derby.
Kids on Site.

Not Working:
Screamer 2 and Rally (Dos4gw error - No Error when sound is Disabled)

Not Tested:
Nascar Racing (it says it has to less low memory, but mem says there is 638 K free)

Do you have other Games tested?
Which a working and which not?

Is there an update for sbemul.sys (to make it more compatible, e.g.for screamer 2/Rally) or another way to emulate Soundblaster under Win98?

Reply 1 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, Windows 98 doesn't "emulate" anything. If you have an AC97 driver for your onboard sound, then the AC97 driver for your onboard sound provides emulation. That's all there is to it.

You might be able to get around DOS4GW errors by using dos32a. Nascar Racing might have a problem because it is not expecting as much as 638k to be free; you might be able to get around that by setting up a custom MS-DOS shortcut with specific memory settings. Neither problem is likely to have much to do with your onboard sound.

Reply 2 of 8, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i am sure windows 98 emulates sb pro via sbemul.sys

first i thought it depends on the drivers from the sound card, but it seems a sb pro is emulated on every windows 98/me system.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wind … e/ff537039.aspx

Last edited by Sammy on 2016-07-15, 01:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nascar racing detects around 500k when mem Reports 638 k.

and when i set the .pif settings to 520 kb (for example ) nascar detects around 400 kb.

for screamer 2 i tryed dos4gw upate to 2.01a and dos32 a 7.10 and 9.x

dos4gw 1.97 and 2.01a makes no difference.

Using dos32a i am able to start screamer 2 , intro works with sound , but after pressing a key game crashes.
setup crashes to after start when try to change anything.

Reply 4 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Huh. All right, fair enough. Thank you for that little tidbit. Consider me schooled.

However, I really don't think your problems with Screamer 2 or Nacsar Racing have anything to do with the Sound Blaster emulation. I found this:
M-Soft's Knowledge Articles on DOS games

NASCAR Racing by Papyrus Executable: NASCAR.EXE […]
Show full quote

NASCAR Racing by Papyrus
Executable: NASCAR.EXE

NASCAR Racing makes incorrect assumptions about the system memory configuration when Windows 95 is running, causing it to believe the computer has a negative amount of memory. It must be run in MS-DOS mode.

It may be necessary to delete the existing NASCAR.PIF file before running this program, so that Windows can configure it properly.

NOTE: The 1.2 patch of NASCAR.EXE runs in Windows 95, with some reservations:

* If this is the first MS-DOS-based program that uses the sound card after the system is restarted, it hangs the system.
* If this is the second MS-DOS-based program that uses the sound card, it works correctly.
* With this patch, the program works properly at any time if the sound card is disabled in Device Manager.

Reply 5 of 8, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, for the Info.

With Nascar Racing patched to Version 1.21 the Game runs insinde Windows 98 with Sound.

For Screamer2/Rally i installed Windows 2000 with VDMSound.
Not the best solution, but a workaround.

So More working Games can added to the List:
Nascar Racing (1.21)
and
Cyclemania.

Working with Problems:
Day of the Tentacle (CD-Version).
It hangs when some ingame cutscenes appear.
For example, in the intro when they read the mail that purpur tentacle has became bad.
The game is not crashing.
i can still pause it with spacebar.
But nothing happens to continue.
The only thing i can do is to skip the cutscene with ESC.