VOGONS

First post, by comteck123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why isn't there a version of DOSEMU in Windows? I mean it already supports amd64 and such but why no win version?

The Shadow Warrior Mod that makes weapons O.P., plus adds more ammo: My First Shadow Warrior mod.

Reply 2 of 7, by comteck123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But seems that DOSEMU is faster since it doesn't emulate a cpu so it's fast. But dosbox is more feature rich and easier to use.

The Shadow Warrior Mod that makes weapons O.P., plus adds more ammo: My First Shadow Warrior mod.

Reply 3 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSEMU relies heavily on particular features of the Linux kernel that have no Windows equivalent.

That is also why WINE can run 16-bit Windows applications, even though that is quite impossible in 64-bit Windows.

Reply 4 of 7, by comteck123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

DOSEMU relies heavily on particular features of the Linux kernel that have no Windows equivalent.

That is also why WINE can run 16-bit Windows applications, even though that is quite impossible in 64-bit Windows.

You mean binfmt_misc?

Reply 5 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, binfmt_misc has nothing to do with it.

Are you referring to VM86? That's not available with the CPU running in long mode.

CPU emulation (SIMX86) […]
Show full quote

CPU emulation (SIMX86)

• The SIMX86 simulator is now a runtime option, activated via
    $_cpuemu="vm86sim", or $_cpuemu="fullsim". Without the "sim"
    JIT compilation (dynamic translation) is used.
  • - SIMX86 is automatically invoked if the vm86 is not supported by the
    Linux kernel. This includes x86-64 systems, kernel configurations
    for embedded use, and some virtualization systems.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 7, by crazyc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOSEMU (and Wine for win16 support) require the ability to create LDT descriptors. Linux permits it in x86-64 mode but Windows doesn't. DOSEMU2 can use KVM so this might be possible to port with hyper-v paravirtualization.

Edit: Looking back DOSEMU uses VM86 mode if available but can emulate the 8086. Protected mode stuff isn't emulated but requires LDT access.