VOGONS

First post, by LoneKiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good Day,

I am trying to get a couple of games run on VMWare since they are not working in my native PC due mainly to drivers. I was able to play some of them, but at the moment I am trying to make work the following without success:

Infernal - game works but many graphic glitches
Fahrenheit (Indigo prophecies in US) - textures not displayed
You are empty - game launch then crash, reported on the web as problems with driver (game need quite old driver even if DX9)

I tried several packages of VMTool drivers but none worked, and now I am running out of ideas. I am not very skilled in PC Emulation, do you have any suggestion I can try?

I am very grateful in advance for help.

Best regards.

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

More information is needed. What is your graphics card? What is your main OS? What OS are you running in VMware? Is there something in particular that leads you to believe that these games "are not working in my native PC due mainly to drivers" ? Fahrenheit in particular is available on GOG (and they probably wouldn't be selling it if it was that difficult to get running).

Reply 2 of 4, by LoneKiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry I did not consider these info as useful since problems are in vitual machine.

1)My GPU is ATI 5870
2)Native OS is Windows 7 64 Bit
3)OS in VMWare is Windows XP 32 Bit (minimum Microsoft OS to have 3D hardware in VMWare)
4)all games are DX9
5)I did not notice GOG of Fahrenheit, my version do not even install on Win7 without an external patch, then has graphic glitches and crashes at game start. Probably GOG version is customized somehow? On VMWare game is OK, no crashes but no textures are displayed (driver problem?)

I have to say I am also using VMWare for other games not running on native and in many case they work like a charm (Max Payne, Mortal Kombat 4 and others). These I cannot find any solution.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LoneKiller wrote:

Sorry I did not consider these info as useful since problems are in vitual machine.

The 3D hardware in VMware still effectively uses the 3D hardware in your main system. If there is something wrong with your ATI 5870, then using VMware may not necessarily solve the problem.

Probably GOG version is customized somehow?

The place to look would be the GOG forums.

Reply 4 of 4, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

The 3D hardware in VMware still effectively uses the 3D hardware in your main system. If there is something wrong with your ATI 5870, then using VMware may not necessarily solve the problem.

I'm pretty sure that VMWare's virtualization technique just isn't 100% compatible with all software, sadly.