VOGONS

First post, by LilithFang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i originally thought to post this on the official PCemu forums but its been days from when i registered without any confirmation or account activation on that forum, so i had to give up... Searching around later i ended up finding this lovely site and i wanted to try asking here. I'm new to PCemu and want to setup a machine for some older games (dos and old windows ones) so i would like some help in the process. My desktop PC is:

Intel G3258 @4.1 Ghz
16 Gb Kingston Savage DDR3 @2400Mhz
ASUS STRIX 950 GTX 2 GB GDDR5

Here is what i have right now:

Qaeealt.png

From what i understood so far:

-Infinite cache is generally better
-for windows 95 i will need to make a max 2048 MB HDD image (and use a floopy bootdisk image to format it with FDISK then access the setup of 95)

What i want to ask:

1. Can i go higher with the CPU clock then 166 Mhz for my CPU or should i go lower ?
2. Which Video card should i go for, i went for ATi there but is there a better one ?
3. I see most people focusing on windows 95 rather then 98, is it less resource hungry, or generally does 95 handles better for this kind of emulation ?
4. Can someone direct me towards the drivers i need to install for the PCemu build i just posted ? (if windows 95 is a better pick then 98 then i only need drivers for windows 95)

Thank you in advance.

Reply 1 of 2, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I approved your forum account a few hours ago - sorry for the delay, I've been away for the last week.

Performance will generally depend on what you run on the emulator. With your CPU I'd have said that _most_ stuff should run okay at 166, but it will vary a bit. You may struggle with Voodoo emulation though as you've only got a dual core without HT, I'd suggest using only a single render thread.

Video card-wise, I tend to use the S3 ViRGE/DX, but the ATI card there should also be okay. You should probably also use a Sound Blaster 16 instead of the 2.0.

I wouldn't have said that there's much difference between Windows 95 and 98; the latter will be a bit slower as it would be on a real PC of the same spec, but it's certainly not unusable, and should be perfectly fine for games.