VOGONS

Cliff Bleszinski's 24 years old PC game aka Dare 2 Dream on Windows 10 64-bit DosBox problem

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by gamerz31w

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I tried to play Dare 2 Dream on Dosbox.Usually games like Rayman 1,Supaplex,Superfrog,Jazz Jackrabbit 1 are working very well on my PC.Even PC games of late 90's like Rayman 2,Omikron the Nomad Soul,Star Wars Phantom Manace,Jazz Jackrabbit 3(canceled-unfinished),Dues Ex:GOTY are working fine on my PC without nvidia nglide voodoo fx graphics card pc emulator manager on Windows 10.I tried Virtual Box and I downloaded Windows 98 it works fine,but it has no access to internet only in Windows 10.I'm wondering how I can install Windows 3.1 in virtual box because file contents are looking like windows 7 service packs update numbers.
By the way I'm giving you basic informations of my PC if it's neccessary to help me.
http://i.imgur.com/vL5HnK0.png i had windows 8.1 before formatting it(my pc is 3 years old-so i can't install windows 7 instalation errors)and installing windows 10 to each day.

Reply 1 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Slow down there.

gamerz31w wrote:

I tried Virtual Box and I downloaded Windows 98 it works fine,but it has no access to internet only in Windows 10.

Why don't you just install Dare to Dream using the same method you used to install Windows 98?

I'm wondering how I can install Windows 3.1 in virtual box because file contents are looking like windows 7 service packs update numbers.

I have no idea what you might be talking about. Windows 3.1 was distributed on floppy disks.

Reply 4 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyways here's message of this information.
http://i.imgur.com/oFbnAuM.png

Yes, we already know it's a Windows game.

gamerz31w wrote:

it needs unofficial Windows 98 image iso file it's not so problematic like newer personal computers that can't instal windows 98 or windows xp.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. Windows 98 or Windows XP can be installed on "newer personal computers", though they might not necessarily work very well. In any case, there is no such legal "unofficial Windows 98 image iso file".

The question remains: why don't you just install Dare to Dream using the same method you used to install Windows 98? If you need to put it in an .iso file, then just download imgburn and put the files you need in an .iso file. (That's definitely not the most elegant way of doing things, but if that's something you understand how to do, then it will probably work.)

Reply 5 of 14, by gamerz31w

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well it sounds like I should use for example Oracle VirtualBox I was trying in Windows 98 opening window I was trying to connect to internet and to be honest major websites are disconnected.I have a router,but maybe I should buy older modem that supports Windows 98 just like Interceptor Entertainment's Rad Rodgers Kickstarter/YouTube campaign offered/mentioned.I think having windows 98 vm image is enough than installing windows 98 on my pc(with format or without one) or rather buying pc with windows 98 operating system like LGR on youtube.

Reply 6 of 14, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it needs Windows 3.1 to run, then install Windows 3.1 in DOSBox and run it from there. There are guides somewhere for doing that; it's pretty easy.

Like others have said, it is illegal to download Windows 98. There is no such thing as an "unofficial Windows 98 iso".

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 7 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gamerz31w wrote:

Well it sounds like I should use for example Oracle VirtualBox I was trying in Windows 98 opening window I was trying to connect to internet and to be honest major websites are disconnected.I have a router,but maybe I should buy older modem that supports Windows 98 just like Interceptor Entertainment's Rad Rodgers Kickstarter/YouTube campaign offered/mentioned.I think having windows 98 vm image is enough than installing windows 98 on my pc(with format or without one) or rather buying pc with windows 98 operating system like LGR on youtube.

Am I not being clear?

You don't need to have Internet access in VirtualBox if you want to install Dare to Dream (or anything else). You can install imgburn (or any other program that can create .iso files) in Windows 10 and make a .iso file containing the files for Dare to Dream, and then load that .iso file in VirtualBox. None of this requires Internet access in VirtualBox. Is that clear?

Reply 9 of 14, by Kisai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:
gamerz31w wrote:

I downloaded Windows 98

Win98 cannot legally be downloaded.

That is not exactly correct, but I somehow doubt the original poster has a MSDN subscription.

gamerz31w wrote:

When I tried to play Dare 2 Dream on Dosbox.

Dare 2 Dream is a Win 3.0 game, and if you don't have a legit license for Windows 3.0/3.1/3.11 you may as well stop there and look at Wine on Linux instead, or ReactOS.

As for internet access. Windows 3.x required a winsock application (eg Trumpet Winsock) for TCP/IP internet access, where as Win9x has internet access built in, provided that a network card is available. I'd seriously not recommend going down this route, as connecting anything prior to Windows 7 to the internet is extremely dangerous, since there are no exploit-free web browsers to use on 9x or XP.

That is one of those games that uses only Windows GDI calls IIRC so it likely will work with vanilla Wine on Linux.

Reply 10 of 14, by gamerz31w

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

maybe i should remake this game on game maker or rebuild in chris"taxman"whitehead engine just like with his remastered classic sonic game ports.Anyways I have some unknown problem with making account on headcannon forum(in next time i'll consult your admin via pm-to avoid permament bans here)designed by simon"stealth thomley.I guess there's also chance to remaster Dare 2 Dream on SDL-C++ Windows codeblocks compiler.I dunno if cliff bleszinski and tim sweney 24 years ago re-released this game on macos and linux i know only that jazz jackrabbit 2 was released on windows pc,linux and mac os in 2000 i guess so.

Reply 11 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gamerz31w wrote:

maybe i should remake this game on game maker or rebuild in chris"taxman"whitehead engine just like with his remastered classic sonic game ports.

Do you know even the slightest thing about programming..? I certainly have no idea why you would use the retro sonic engine for a point-and-click game, and I doubt anyone on the Headcannon forums would have the slightest idea either. Adventure Game Studio would be the best choice.

If all you want to do is play the game, then there are infinitely easier ways of doing so than rewriting it from scratch!

I guess there's also chance to remaster Dare 2 Dream on SDL-C++ Windows codeblocks compiler.I dunno if cliff bleszinski and tim sweney 24 years ago re-released this game on macos and linux

No, no they did not. The game was written in Visual Basic 1.0, which is hardly known for its portability.

Reply 13 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Look, this game will run under Windows 98 in VirtualBox. This is practically certain. (It will also easily run in Windows 3.1 in DOSBox, as Kisai mentioned.)

If you need help figuring out how to do that, then please ask specific questions about the difficulties you are encountering.