VOGONS

First post, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey people, I would like you to give your opinions and thoughts of which 2D/3D video card is better for PCem to emulate for it's next release (PCem v12), Voodoo Banshee or S3 virge / DX?

Reply 5 of 8, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DOSfan1994 wrote:

I know that, but S3 Virge/DX is not that great of a 2D/3D card for PCem, but Voodoo banshee is better at rendering games that use Directx 5. For example like Lego Creator.

It's not S3 Virge/DX vs Voodoo Banshee. The next card that (likely) will be implemented in PCem is the Voodoo2. So do you have any source that the Voodoo Banshee is better than a Voodoo2 at rendering DirectX5? Considering how poorly researched your original question was, I doubt it.

DOSfan1994 wrote:

I'm not trying to pester you, me and the other fans of your work are just giving out ideas to you.

Since SarahWalker has already rejected this idea, you either need to make a much much better case for it or realize you have to wait until more important ideas are implemented.

Reply 6 of 8, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A single-chip solution it is a combination of a 2D card (only one texture mapping unit) Voodoo2 3D hardware. Due to the missing second TMU, in 3D scenes which used multiple textures per polygon, the Voodoo2 was significantly faster. However, in scenes dominated by single-textured polygons, the Banshee could match or exceed the Voodoo2 due to its higher clock speed and resulting greater pixel fillrate. While it was not as popular as Voodoo Graphics or Voodoo2, the Banshee sold in respectable numbers.

Banshee's 2D acceleration was the first such hardware from 3Dfx and it was very capable. It rivaled the fastest 2D cores from Matrox, Nvidia, and ATI. It consisted of a 128-bit 2D GUI engine and a 128-bit VESA VBE 3.0 VGA core. The graphics chip capably accelerated DirectDraw and supported all of the Windows Graphics Device Interface (GDI) in hardware, with all 256 raster operations and tertiary functions, and hardware polygon acceleration. The 2D core achieved near-theoretical maximum performance with a null driver test in Windows NT.[4][5]

If there is going to be any Voodoo hardware be used as a primary video card it's self then this should. Because the video card needs to have a 2D component integrated on the card to have the 256 color-16 bit color.

Yeah the voodoo 2 is better but if there are any games that are 3D and can't use a 3D accelerated card and only use a 2d/3d SVGA card then Banshee would be emulated.

Reply 7 of 8, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DOSfan1994 wrote:
A single-chip solution it is a combination of a 2D card (only one texture mapping unit) Voodoo2 3D hardware. Due to the missing […]
Show full quote

A single-chip solution it is a combination of a 2D card (only one texture mapping unit) Voodoo2 3D hardware. Due to the missing second TMU, in 3D scenes which used multiple textures per polygon, the Voodoo2 was significantly faster. However, in scenes dominated by single-textured polygons, the Banshee could match or exceed the Voodoo2 due to its higher clock speed and resulting greater pixel fillrate. While it was not as popular as Voodoo Graphics or Voodoo2, the Banshee sold in respectable numbers.

Banshee's 2D acceleration was the first such hardware from 3Dfx and it was very capable. It rivaled the fastest 2D cores from Matrox, Nvidia, and ATI. It consisted of a 128-bit 2D GUI engine and a 128-bit VESA VBE 3.0 VGA core. The graphics chip capably accelerated DirectDraw and supported all of the Windows Graphics Device Interface (GDI) in hardware, with all 256 raster operations and tertiary functions, and hardware polygon acceleration. The 2D core achieved near-theoretical maximum performance with a null driver test in Windows NT.[4][5]

If there is going to be any Voodoo hardware be used as a primary video card it's self then this should. Because the video card needs to have a 2D component integrated on the card to have the 256 color-16 bit color.

Yeah the voodoo 2 is better but if there are any games that are 3D and can't use a 3D accelerated card and only use a 2d/3d SVGA card then Banshee would be emulated.

Oh wait according this page I found on Wikipiedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3dfx_Interactive.
It says that "Many users even preferred Voodoo2's dedicated purpose, because they were free to use the quality 2D card of their choice as a result. Some 2D/3D combined solutions at the time offered quite sub-par 2D quality and speed."

Reply 8 of 8, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh I found this site that there is an option that can let your Voodoo2 card be used as your primary 3D device.
http://www.3dgw.com/Articles/voodoo2_control.htm

Depending on which brand control panel you use.