VOGONS

First post, by KingDaveRa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Driving home from work the other day, I was passing the time mulling over a fun little project to do with an emulator. I thought it might be interesting to try doing some networking stuff (networking being my bag). I contemplated something like OS/2 server and PXE clients, or Netware and clients. My other half probably wouldn't appreciate me filling the house with old PCs to do this, so emulating it seemed like the logical option!

My old PC emulator of choice is usually PCEm, but it doesn't support networking. I could use Bochs but I've found it 'fun' to get running. So I'm wondering what others would suggest? As long as it can run a 486 or early Pentium, and an NE2000 NIC, it'd probably work pretty well. Virtualbox and the likes are pretty odd with really old OSes, so I think they are ruled out (I've tried in the past).

Thanks in anticipation 😀

Reply 4 of 8, by KingDaveRa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mrau wrote:

i would still suggest virtualbox, its quite configurable and its not so bad with old software really unless there is a specific problem that you know of;

Last time I tried OS/2 in Virtualbox it just hung. Netware was a bit of a pain to get running vaguely well. Apparently it's because of the paravirtualisation, which those old OSes can't cope with. They expect to see a 486 (or thereabouts) and get quite upset if they don't.

DosFreak wrote:

GNS3 for networking stuff

I'm not talking about lower level networking. I'm thinking more Layer 7 fun! That said I do plenty of messing about with GNS3

leileilol wrote:

VirtualPC 2007 can do network too but in newer OSes and non-Microsoft guest OSes i'm not sure.

I'm on Windows 10, I'd be surprised if it even runs. Could try it though.