VOGONS

First post, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

(See Game memory footprint in DOSBox)

Hi all, another question regarding emulating less than 640 KB of memory

How do I do this for a DOS booter image? You can't run LOADFIX or similar tools in that case. I want to see if a particular booter game runs in 256 KB, 128 KB or less memory.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can always load up a random TSR repeatedly until the desired amount of conventional memory is consumed. I think you can even get away simply with running COMMAND.COM repeatedly, though I'm sure there's a more elegant tool floating around out there.

Reply 2 of 5, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

You can always load up a random TSR repeatedly until the desired amount of conventional memory is consumed. I think you can even get away simply with running COMMAND.COM repeatedly, though I'm sure there's a more elegant tool floating around out there.

But subsequently booting an image (as the OP states) would obviously render all that null and void.

Errius: just use PCem - it lets you easily configure the total amount of RAM installed. DOSBox won't work for this I'm afraid... I think there was a patch which added this functionality to the Daum build, but IIRC it didn't really work as expected.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 3 of 5, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gotcha, Pcem it is then.

Also what version of LOADFIX are you guys using? The one I have doesn't accept any switches.

I got the same result from multiple calls of an old program called LOSE64K which literally consists of just two lines:

MOV DX,FFFF
INT 27

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 4 of 5, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOSBox's internal LOADFIX can be told how many KBs you want it to eat up- e.g. "loadfix -256" to allocate 256K (mind the "-", won't work without it). There's also "-f" to free it up again.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]