VOGONS

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey all, im curius if there is software existing out there that is close to something like PC'em, with emulateing processors and sound card and bios, or is PC'em the only emulator that flexible?

Reply 1 of 7, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

UniPCemu does that as well, with the current released version running IBM XT(808[6/8] or NEC V20/V30(8018[6/8] to be exact)). It allows for any combination of CPU(80(1/2)8[6/8]), with any video card(MDA all the way up to Tseng ET4000). As for sound cards, it supports basic PC speaker all the way up to Sound Blaster 2.0(and MPU-401 using Soundfont 2.0 internal synth or hardware synth(passthrough to Windows)).

The CPU speed is still configurable in the released versions(both in Dosbox-style cycles and cycle-accurate cycles(on 80[1]8[6/8] CPUs). I'm still working on fixing the bugs in the development version, with fixes to the 80286, as well as the new 80386(Compaq Deskpro 386 architecture) that I'm currently working on getting 100% working(It's already booting the BIOS and hard disk, although there's still some little unfound CPU problems causing little problems with protected/unreal mode). The development version is also made cycle-accurate up to the 80286, with newer CPUs using 80286 cycle counts for easy compatibility(until the new timings are implemented on 80386+ CPUs). 80486+ is still incomplete. All video hardware is cycle-accurate as well(working on the pixel level accuracy, running at up to 28MHz(28M pixels per second) synchronized to the CPU). Also a BIU and EU is present in the development version, which isn't existant in the release versions yet.

UniPCemu uses (and is tested with) actual BIOS ROMs from the PCs themselves(IBM XT, IBM AT and Compaq Deskpro 386). It also has an internal BIOS ROM(loosely based on the Dosbox emulation), with the internal VGA ROM(which is a dynamically generated ROM version of the Dosbox INT10h(video interrupt) emulation) being available when no video ROM is put in the ROM folder for the current video card. So, when not using 80286+ CPUs, the internal video ROM is an option as well, allowing for the IBM XT to be used without seperate VGA ROM(although it has some unfound errors still).

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 3 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bochs is an option, but I understand it is very slow. And there's also MAME, but I don't think its PC emulation is very complete yet.

If there was a particularly useful alternative to PCem, you would likely have heard about it by now.

Reply 4 of 7, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I currently have a bit of difficulty compiling SDL2 for the 32-bit MinGW executable together with MinGW64(which, after manual patching) does work. I usually test UniPCemu on Visual Studio(requiring Visual C++ 2015 Redistributables, as well as at least Windows XP or Vista(as far as I remember) or newer to make it run, before releasing it when it's complete enough to release(which it isn't, due to compiler problems(MinGW32) as well as emulator problems(currently unbootable on IBM AT and up, due to unrecognized hard disks and hanging floppy disk accesses of still unknown cause in the current commits)). I'll release it with stock SDL 2.0.5 DLL when I've gotten those bugs fixed.

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 5 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Neko Project II for Japanese NEC PC-98 😀

Also seconding PCem. I may be a bit biased (disclosure: I have contributed some patches to mainline PCem)

UniPCEmu and CAPE are looking very promising though! Best of luck to those.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 7, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do recommend UniPCEmu. It is fairly flexible and more important superfury puts in a lot of effort to make it accurate. I think that is the main common trait on CAPE and UniPCEmu: strive for accuracy.

As for CAPE, I know I cannot beat PCEmu, DosBox, Bochs and others so instead of reinventing the wheel my goal is to write a different kind of emulator. CAPE is a more of didactic emulator which tries (but does not 100% succeed at the moment) to answer the question: what does happen at cycle X when executing instruction Y? However CAPE Is not close to PCEm in terms of supported systems (only going up to 286 at the moment).

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/