VOGONS

First post, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello how are you doing? I would like to point some problems out on upgrading Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 in emulation on PCem. I have decided to experiment the Windows 95 upgrade disk that was made for Windows 3.1 that my father had during the original release on my Windows 3.1 VM on PCem, it installed pretty fine like the original until I started up the OS and I got a error.

Ok so everytime I start up my upgraded Windows OS on PCem I get this error, I don't know why I am getting this, I mean I upgraded my Windows 3.1 to 95 pretty fine but what is "Systray" and how do I fix these problems? Another problem I would like to point out is when I try to go into the multimedia settings on control panel I also get this dumb Rundll32 error, I mean what is wrong? Is any of my files and software from Windows 3.1 haywire? One more thing I would like to point out is when I play "BUSYTOWN" from this blue and yellow disk I have with "Lenny's music toons and Rap, Rock n roll" with the Soundblaster pro option with soundblaster 16 having some compatibility it makes this staticy noise, I mean when I tried in that mode on Windows 3.1 it did not made any static noise it it played pretty well. But why on the original Windows 95 upgraded from Windows 3.1 version on this emulated environment?

As for the errors, are they something to ignore or to fix?

Attachments

• bandicam 2017-06-28 22-42-21-266.jpg
    Filename
    bandicam 2017-06-28 22-42-21-266.jpg
    File size
    127.81 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The problem when accessing the multi-media program.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • bandicam 2017-06-28 22-41-30-946.jpg
    Filename
    bandicam 2017-06-28 22-41-30-946.jpg
    File size
    120.98 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Error when starting up Windows 95
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want to verify it's an issue with pcem or not then perform the install under VirtualBox or Vmware and see if you get the same behavior.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In addition to what DosFreak said, also make sure Win 3.1 had been previously
installed with default drivers (plain VGA, no sound) and default settings.

If that wasn't the case, you could try to start over again. Some *.386 files (old VXDs)
written for Win 3.1 could interfere with the inner workings of Win95.

Before you do. I also recommend to begin with a lower specced configuration,
say Pentium 75 emulation with 32MB of memory or so.
If it runs stable then, increase the specs as you wish.

Anyway, please begin with what DosFreak said first.
By using virtulaizers like VirtualBox or VMware, you can also make sure if the
software has bugs or if any files are damaged.

Also note that there are different releases of Win95, besides the original one.
Some may or may not require certain patches, like the K6 patch or newer system files.
https://www.cnet.com/news/windows-95-patch-fo … chips-now-free/

(PS: Sorry for invading this thread, too. I've been way to active in the last few days, I'm afraid. 😅)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 8, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
In addition to what DosFreak said, also make sure Win 3.1 had been previously installed with default drivers (plain VGA, no soun […]
Show full quote

If that wasn't the case, you could try to start over again. Some *.386 files (old VXDs)

Some may or may not require certain patches, like the K6 patch or newer system files.

(PS: Sorry for invading this thread, too. I've been way to active in the last few days, I'm afraid. 😅)

I found the problem yo just have to install the OS with out installing the windows 3.1 soundblaster 16 drivers.

Reply 6 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

During some time, I've only had an upgrade Windows 95 CD-ROM. To make a "clean" Windows 95 installation, I followed these steps:

1.- Install bare minimum MS-DOS on your HDD.

That is:
1a.- Boot MS-DOS from floppy.
1b.- FDISK your hard disk.
1c.- FORMAT C: /S
1d.- Install your favourite CD-ROM driver.

2.- Boot from your HDD and try to install your Windows 95 Update.
3.- After a few screens, Windows 95 installer will ask you for your #1 Windows 3.1 floppy. Put it on your floppy drive and continue installing.

That installed Windows 95 free from legacy Windows 3.1 things (but you can still use the F5 menu to boot from MS-DOS).

As you discovered, sometimes Sound Blaster drivers can lead to strange errors. I remember having those systray errors, but also having some blue screens related to VXDs. That happened to me with both Windows 95 and 98.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 7 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote:

3.- After a few screens, Windows 95 installer will ask you for your #1 Windows 3.1 floppy. Put it on your floppy drive and continue installing.

I really appreciate this method, it works also very well for doing a clean install of Windows Me.
More than often, a broken basic installation causes stability issues or other problems.
Sometimes, it's not even a fault of the user or the drivers. It's just some odd incompatibility
to the underlaying basic installation (Me allowed for updrading from 3.1, 95 and 98; depending of the Me upgrade version)

By the way, in the old times before Win95, MS offered cheapened upgrades for Windows 3.0:
Windows 2.x users had to send in their floppy #1, and then MS would have sent them back a shiny, new set of Windows 3.0 disks. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 8, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
In addition to what DosFreak said, also make sure Win 3.1 had been previously installed with default drivers (plain VGA, no soun […]
Show full quote

Oh thanks for the advice as for that method just to let you know I am waiting for PCem to emulate a Nivida RIVA 128 and a Nivida TNT 2 and the voodoo 2 using GDI has been for reals debunked.