VOGONS

First post, by Sandi1987

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there any Emulator for Windows 2000 with Direct3D Acceleration?

Reply 2 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PCem, with Voodoo emulation (but Voodoo Direct3D support was not great) should do the trick, but it will need a very fast computer.

Why Windows 2000? Usually Windows 98SE or XP are better for gaming. Although Windows 2000 is slightly worse than XP, XP is easier to emulate on VMs and 98 need less resources.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 6, by Sandi1987

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote:

Usually Windows 98SE or XP are better for gaming. Although Windows 2000 is slightly worse than XP, XP is easier to emulate on VMs and 98 need less resources.

I have problems with 3D Games in Windows XP in VirtualBox. I saw on YouTube someone play Doom 3 in VirtualBox.

Reply 5 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doom 3 is an OpenGL game.

BTW, I forgot to mention that Virtualbox (and VMWare) only accelerate DirectX 8, DirectX 9 and OpenGL games (using XP and later OS as guest). If your game is DirectX 7 or earlier, you won't get acceleration.

To use 3D accelearation on VirtualBox:
- Be sure to enable 3D acceleration on the VM configuration, and put enough memory on the video card.
- Install XP as guest OS.
- After installing it, reboot the VM on safe mode.
- On safe mode, install VMWare guest utilities, enabling 3D support.

If you install the guest utilities on "normal" mode (not safe mode), the 3D drivers won't work.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote:

If your game is DirectX 7 or earlier, you won't get acceleration.

That's true, the older D3D/DDraw-7 DDI isn't yet supported I believe.
VBox used to use WineD3D as a wrapper, maybe that's the reason for it.

I haven't tested it myself, but I assume DXGL could be used as a workaround here (it uses OpenGL).
("Also compatible with most versions of Wine, by setting the ddraw DLL override to "native, builtin" sounds promising)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//