VOGONS

First post, by Mateusz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI, I'm working in engineering company and we still have one program for dos. My question is: How can i automation process of this program? On the begin of start this we must put place of 2 .dat and next step is computing process. It's old technology and i want bring new flow for this procedure, build some macros in excel (some part of this process is now in excel). It's possible improvement dos program for no user work? We need something what can be start from for example cmd and work only in background reading and making this (in all situation only 2 with the same names) .dat files?
Have nice day

Reply 1 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

DOSBox is meant for playing games. You really shouldn't use it for mission critical things!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your English is difficult to understand.

You can automatically execute commands in DOSBox either using the "autoexec" section in DOSBox.conf, or with the "-c" switch on the command line. Anything much more complicated than that will likely require rewriting at least small parts of DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Mateusz wrote:

Ok, but This is not the answer to my question. You can replace DOSBox with another dos emulator. I was writing DOSBox because this is DOSBox forum.

No it wasn't the direct answer to your question but the most useful one. And apart from using DOSBox I can have no knowledge how you automate your setup.
And as you asked in the DOSBox forum how am I supposed to know that you mean ANY Dos emulator.
I jusz wanted you to know that using DOSBox is not advised for critical software...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mateusz wrote:

HI, I'm working in engineering company and we still have one program for dos. My question is: How can i automation process of this program? On the begin of start this we must put place of 2 .dat and next step is computing process. It's old technology and i want bring new flow for this procedure, build some macros in excel (some part of this process is now in excel). It's possible improvement dos program for no user work? We need something what can be start from for example cmd and work only in background reading and making this (in all situation only 2 with the same names) .dat files?
Have nice day

Speaking of inappropriate tools for the job, it frightens me to think how many structures depend on the numerical precision and integrity of Excel.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 11, by Mateusz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This procedure isn't critical its only for offer. We do something for money calculation. Finishing procedure do another company but full profesional. For offer we do this in 30 min and profesional company do project in 30 days. Find the difference.
@Dominus you can mean "ANY" DOS Emulator. Sorry for my English - it's my 3th language.

Reply 8 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're searching for a DOSBox fork with more business/enterprise support, you may want to try vDos: https://www.vdos.info/
or vDosPlus: http://www.vdosplus.org/
though we don't support it here.

On the other hand, if you're open to ANY DOS/PC emulator, we'd be happy to rename this discussion topic and move it to our "PC Emulation" forum.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 11 of 11, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could run the program in a Virtual Machine (maybe in a Win98 environment? Have you checked if it works under windows?), that makes file transfer easier.

On the DOS part you could write a batch file (.bat) that checks for the presence of the 2 files and maybe a marker that signals the finish of the copy operation. When the signal file is present it moves all files to a working folder, does the processing and afterwards moves the result back into the transfer folder. We can only guess how the whole process looks like because the description is not complete.