VOGONS

First post, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a problem to show you when playing Mad dog mcree on DOS when you are in Windows 3.1 mode on PCem.

Okay so when I was trying to get Mad dog mcree on DOS while in Windows 3.1 (which was the definitive way that my dad played it back on our old MS-DOS 6.0 with Windows 3.1 computer.) not in standard mode (Because the sound and maybe the midi from the soundblaster 16 doesn't make a sound while in that mode I don't know.) to work on PCem I installed it with using the soundblaster 16 card for sound, I try to play it and I get a system integrity error and it's the same thing when I was trying to play it with the batch file, and I don't know why I am getting that, is it a bug in the PCem emulation, is the hardware that PCem is emulating or is it my MS-DOS 6.0 with my Windows 3.1 ? Also another problem I found is if I get into the program the sound glitches, it stutters, and the opening music sounds like a broken record and the FMV is very choppy like is it also when I move the hand with the gun cursor, it warps to a different part on the screen where I don't want it to go too. I don't understand what's the problem, is my soundblaster 16 card that's the problem, is it hardward that is being emulated on PCem or is the windows 3.1 GUI that's the problem ?

Any solutions to fix the problem?

Reply 1 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry, I'm afraid I can't give you the solution you're looking for, since I don't know that game.

Just a few ideas, though:

a) If the game requires Win32s, use Win32s 1.25 if possible (more stable)
b) You can also use a Sound Blaster 2 or Windows Sound System.
Windows 3.1 ships with SB 1.x drivers that can also work in Standard Mode.
c) If the game uses QuickTime, use a ET4000 graphics card. QT has native support for it.
d) Update your version of Video for Windows. Some versions have DCI support (Elsa version ?)

Some of the stuff can be found at http://www.Win31.de 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 6, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
Sorry, I'm afraid I can't give you the solution you're looking for, since I don't know that game. […]
Show full quote

Sorry, I'm afraid I can't give you the solution you're looking for, since I don't know that game.

Just a few ideas, though:

a) If the game requires Win32s, use Win32s 1.25 if possible (more stable)
b) You can also use a Sound Blaster 2 or Windows Sound System.
Windows 3.1 ships with SB 1.x drivers that can also work in Standard Mode.
c) If the game uses QuickTime, use a ET4000 graphics card. QT has native support for it.
d) Update your version of Video for Windows. Some versions have DCI support (Elsa version ?)

Some of the stuff can be found at http://www.Win31.de 😀

It's a DOS game so I don't how how a Soundblaster 2 will take over my soundblaster 16? Unless PCem has the ability to emulate two threads that can do 2 soundcards. I don't think it will be possible.

Reply 3 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, I see. I've got a troublesome day and can't concentrate right now.
Playing DOS games on Windows 3.1 doesn't work too well, I'm afrad (OS/2 can do it better).
Just one more idea: Open PIF editor and change some settings (like execution-> exclusive). Maybe that helps.
If not, try some memory managers like QEMM 9. Sometimes their magic can make things happen.
Anyway, make a backup copy of your *.IMG file with Windows 3.1 before trying out.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 6, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like I solved the problem. All I have to do is use a soundblaster pro v1 or v2 card and start up Windows 3.1 on standard mode and the sound works now, but problems that still remains the sound is lagging and the mouse is still bouncing and going the direction I don't want it to go into.

Reply 5 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glad you got it working, at least! 😀

Stutter. Try to enhance the stacks for Windows. Open Config.sys and add stacks=9,512 (or stacks=18,512).
Sometimes this will help against all kind of issues, incl. stuttering.

Mouse. Maybe using a serial mouse and updating the serial port driver will ease the mouse issues.
Also try out MS Mouse driver 8.x for DOS (or was it 9x ?). Maybe it helps, maybe not.
That one will have a better integration with Windows 3.1 DOS boxes, though.

Maybe adding one or two updates/fixes may also help. You can find some of them here.
But please keep in mind that these were intended for the English version.
Usually, in case of Windows 3.1 that's no problem (but you never know),

Here are a few more tips also : http://www.mdgx.com/31.htm

//My video channel//