VOGONS

UniPCemu SLIP server releases

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've just adjusted the parsing of the packets to strip the ethernet headers(after checking the destination and type to match the settings), while sending packets generates an ethernet header based on the settings. The decoded SLIP data sent from the virtual serial connection(from the client connected through a TCP connection) is appended to said generated header and sent using pcap(with the type field set to 0x0800(IP) in big-endian format).

The only basic thing left to do with this is testing it, but I'll first need to get winpcap working for that to work(with mingw if possible).

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 21 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lol. Eventually connected to UniPCemu(which was in the new server mode(when compiled with pcap support and configured using the settings.ini file)) using the SLIP8250 driver(from http://www.crynwr.com/drivers/pktd11.zip ), noticed it wasn't seeing any packets being received? Then looked at UniPCemu's code and noticed that the main packet retrieval function(which polls the network for packets and retrieves them into a newly allocated buffer(allocated with the normal zalloc allocation function) to be sent over the TCP connection(the virtual modem data connection) to the other side) wasn't even being called from the main timing function. So I had pretty much all handling and parsing in place(from the server point of view, even sending packets when requested to(non-empty IP packets are sent onto the network using pcap)), except that it wasn't actually sending any packets back(thus no input when being connected and the resulting TCP/IP errors.

Having fixed that, it's time for another go at it with Dosbox!

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 22 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After some messing around with the code, it's now at least sending out DNS requests(just testing with www.google.nl in the Arachne browser inside Dosbox, which is connected to UniPCemu which is compiled for WinPcap and transmitting all packets received and sent(adding/removing the ethernet frame when converting from/to raw SLIP data). Although I don't know if it's receiving and parsing the resulting stream back correctly? The inbound stream is filtered by UniPCemu to only receive IP packets(ethernet type 0x800 in Big-Endian format).

Anyone knows if this causes any issues with stuff like web browsers(filtering too much or not enough) using the TCP SLIP connection?

https://bitbucket.org/superfury/unipcemu/src/ … dem.c?at=master

Look at lines 1689 to 1873 for the logic that converts to/between both packet formats and reads/writes to the buffer(for sending/receiving to the connected SLIP client on the TCP connection), while receiving raw ethernet data using the net.packet buffer(freed once processed) and sending the ethernet packets using sendpkt_pcap function.

Anyone? Why is the Arachne browser failing to reach the website?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 23 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just tried installing and running Windows 95 on various versions of Dosbox. Pretty much each one of them craps out once they start booting Windows after the installation wizard? Corrupted screen, various exceptions(including #UD exception), NULL pointer exceptions etc. Used to work before. Tried Dosbox Daum, Dosbox-X, Dosbox 0.74 and Dosbox 0.73. All the same(crashing in one way or another)... So far for my brilliant idea to use it's modem emulation to test my software modem emulation... 😖

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 24 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oddly enough, using the old Windows 95 installation runs fine until reboot. Maybe a problem with Windows 10 vs Dosbox?

Btw, tried connecting the Windows 95 box through Dosbox. It seems to connect, then for some reason disconnect after that?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 25 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since Arachne IS actually sending the packets properly, can anyone see a problem with the receiving end of things? Is there any MS-DOS software that's running within Dosbox that allows packets to be captured for analysis?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 26 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Managed to get Windows 95 running properly under Dosbox-Daum(32-bit version. All other versions as well as the 64-bit Datum version give lots of errors. So it's got something to do with 64-bit Dosbox giving lots of errors?). The current version of the server(made for use with (win)pcap) can be found at the UniPCemu repository(currently only compiling for Linux and Windows(MSys2/MinGW in my case)). It will try to decrypt incoming SLIP packets and send outgoing SLIP packets by en/decoding then into a raw IP packet, then sending/receiving them over the LAN using winpcap, while constructing/removing the ethernet header based on the setting in the UniPCemu configuration ini file.

I've made a little script that can be used with the Windows 95 logon script to login to a server that's hosted by UniPCemu's service:
https://bitbucket.org/superfury/unipcemu/raw/ … odemconnect.scp

So far it's working with Windows 95 to login to the server. Invalid login configurations(like improper authentication or protocol(set to slip in the modemconnect.scp file)) will simply disconnect the client from the server(by the server). So no fancy error handling yet.

Oddly enough, it seems to be receiving packets from the host PC(I see the Windows 95 byte count increasing constantly), but it doesn't seem to send anything for some reason? The send bytes field in Windows 95's information screen(in the connection status screen) seems to be constantly counting upwards, so it seems to be receiving something at least(although unknown whether it's properly receiving/decoding the data received?

Is there a way to look at the received packets on Windows 95?

Even when I fire up the internet browser and open a web page, nothing is sent by the Windows 95 client to the server?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 27 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Eventually managed to get portmon for windows 98 running within Windows 95. This is what I get:

Windows 95 connected to UniPCemu acting as a passthrough server using Dosbox serial modem.jpg
Filename
Windows 95 connected to UniPCemu acting as a passthrough server using Dosbox serial modem.jpg
File size
113.45 KiB
Views
File comment
Dosbox connected to the UniPCemu passing packets to/from the local network.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Windows 95 connected to UniPCemu acting as a passthrough server using Dosbox serial modem_connection status.jpg
Filename
Windows 95 connected to UniPCemu acting as a passthrough server using Dosbox serial modem_connection status.jpg
File size
64.63 KiB
Views
File comment
Connection status of the serial modem being connected.
File license

Just a simple translation of the text in the second picture(connection status):

Connected at 57600bps
Duration: ...
Bytes received: ...
Bytes sent: ...

Even trying to run internet explorer doesn't seem to send any packets at all?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 28 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do notice two things:
1: It doesn't seem to send packets when loading an internet page using Windows 95's Internet Explorer? Arachne on MS-DOS does seem to send DNS packets, which the server wraps in an ethernet packets(source MAC=Virtual MAC, Destination MAC=Default Gateway MAC(both MAC addresses are configured in the server's settings file).
2: The incoming filter receives lots of packets, filters out only IP packets(type 0x800), where the destination MAC within the ethernet header is matching the set Virtual MAC.

The packets to/from the network are sent using pcap(with Ethernet header(src/mac as configured, type 0x800) slapped on when sending and stripped off when receiving).
The packets to/from the connected client(e.g. Dosbox running Windows 95 or Arachne) are encrypted(when sending to the client) or decrypted(when receiving packets to send from the client) in SLIP format.

I constantly see the Windows 95 internet connection status window increase it's received byte count, while the sent byte count barely increases.

Anyone knows why the IP packets aren't getting through properly? Is something else still needed for it to work?
The only things that don't happen to be encrypted in SLIP format to the client is the authentication process(which hangs up when failing(invalid username/password/protocol supplied) and discards receiving packets from pcap until sending the CONNECTED message(after authentication passes and basic MAC addresses are conveyed to the client in ASCII text format).

Windows 95 connects properly using the login script, but doesn't seem to properly receive the packets?

Is it a problem I'm sending all received packets (only filtering on MAC address and IPv4 packet type)?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 29 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone knows how to install MTCP and use it within Windows 95? I've so far gotten Windows 95 connected to my UniPCemu emulator that's running a SLIP server I've built into UniPCemu(which has only support for one client at a time, with optional username/password(when both are non-empty, it's used) and only SLIP protocol), but I can't get stuff like MTCP working with it?

Filename
UniPCemu_x64_server_20180430_1133.zip
File size
1.38 MiB
Downloads
73 downloads
File comment
UniPCemu server build with winpcap
File license
Filename
modemconnect.zip
File size
2.07 KiB
Downloads
69 downloads
File comment
Modem connection script for use with Windows 95
File license

Anyone can see what's going wrong?

Last edited by superfury on 2018-04-30, 22:40. Edited 1 time in total.

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 30 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To configure it under Windows 95, simply add the TCP/IP protocol and required protocols, add the modem for Dosbox, configure the modem to use SLIP(UNIX) and use the modemconnect.scp to connect. Finally, configure UniPCemu using the modem section(username&password are used when set to non-empty values, in Windows, set the listenport accordingly, MACaddress to your NIC MAC address that you've selected(find index to use by selecting index 255 and running UniPCemu, then set the value to the reported number of your NIC). Set gatewayMACaddress to the MAC address of your default gateway(which can usually be found on your modem configuration pages itself). Of course, don't forget to run UniPCemu(doesn't matter if it's running some XT machine or whatever machine, as long as it's running it's connectable through the set server).
Of course you'll need to configure Windows 95 to dial to the server by specifying <IPADDRESS>:<PORT> in the dial menu(which can also be done in the Modem configuration withing Windows 95 dial-up connection settings).

I see it properly sending packets, but I don't know if it's also properly receiving it? Anyone can see if it's receiving the packets properly? Or is there another problem with the received packets(too many?)? I'm using Dosbox SVN Daum(current version) to run Windows 95 and connect to my server.

Anyone?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 31 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A small improvement for the server:

Filename
UniPCemu_x64_server_20180501_0544.zip
File size
1.38 MiB
Downloads
76 downloads
File comment
UniPCemu server 20180501 05:44
File license

- Added support for a static IP address. That way, it can filter incoming packets for said IP address as well as provide slight IP autoconfiguration to the Windows 95 login script(giving it the IP address that's set).

Edit: Small update: prevented underflow when IP addrress is less thsn 12 digits to form an I{ address. Also added improved support for excluding ethernet footef by using the IP packet length as a limiter of the packet length to send to the client.

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 32 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've managed to get automatic IP addresses working(by setting one in the configuration file). Windows 95 detects the proper IP address, but when I look at the configuration set by the Ethernet adapter information(winipcfg), It somehow shows both my IP address(being set correctly) and Default Gateway(being set to the IP address???) being set to the very same address???

Anyone knows how this can be? I've even configured the default gateway in the TCP/IP settings, but it's still not changing?

Windows95-invalidIPconfiguration.jpg
Filename
Windows95-invalidIPconfiguration.jpg
File size
8.16 KiB
Views
File comment
Invalid IP configuration?
File license

Whatever I do, those two values keep being the same, even when reconfigured from the server using a "IPaddress:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\r\n" field(in this case IPaddress:192.168.178.246\r\n, which is parsed using the logon script I've posted earlier posts)?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 33 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After looking at packet logs, I've found out that two things were going wrong:
- The packets weren't getting filtered correctly.
- The packet receiver(that's receiving from WinPcap) wasn't resetting the pointer correctly, thus not starting new packets and also not filtering new packets and scanning for them.

Having fixed this, Windows 95 now properly can find and load(somewhat within the old Internet Explorer) various webpages 😁

Filename
UniPCemu_server_20180501_1707.zip
File size
1.38 MiB
Downloads
48 downloads
File comment
UniPCemu server build 2018/05/01 17:07
File license

Proof(this very thread showing in the webbrowser):

Vogons thread showing in Internet Explorer on Windows 95.jpg
Filename
Vogons thread showing in Internet Explorer on Windows 95.jpg
File size
71.84 KiB
Views
File comment
This very thread showing up using the server.
File license

So far, HTTPS doesn't seem to work properly, but plain HTTP does seem to work?

Google using HTTP.jpg
Filename
Google using HTTP.jpg
File size
89.33 KiB
Views
File comment
Google.com using HTTP on Internet Explorer 5.5
File license

Downloading Firefox 1.5 reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally slowly...

A reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally slow download speed.jpg
Filename
A reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally slow download speed.jpg
File size
105.37 KiB
Views
File comment
Downloading Firefox 1.5..... Slooooooooowly...
File license

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 34 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello from Firefox 1.5 running within Windows 95 using the SLIP server!!!:D
Screen capture following...

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 35 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And the promised screen capture:

Firefox 1.5 on Windows 95 on vogons.jpg
Filename
Firefox 1.5 on Windows 95 on vogons.jpg
File size
240.68 KiB
Views
File comment
Firefox 1.5 posting on vogons!
File license

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 36 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Made some slight update to the UniPCemu server version(alongside some of the more recent bugfixes etc.):

Filename
UniPCemu_server_20180725_2110.zip
File size
1.32 MiB
Downloads
34 downloads
File comment
UniPCemu server build 2018/07/25 21:10 x64
File license

Some updates to the server in this case include:
- A slight 3 second delay between the "CONNECTED" message and start of the transfer of data to/from the internet/client. This is mainly to allow the user to press ALT-P on the arachne MINITERM program.
- The password text input has been encrypted into returning star characters instead of the password that's typed for additional protection(still sent to the server unencrypted, though) for the viewer.
- Backspace support has been added on all input fields during the login process. It will now send backspace back, but with a space and backspace following it, effectively clearing the last inputted character on the screen(at least as long as it's still inputting on the same line).

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 37 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another little server update, adding a new feature:

Filename
UniPCemu_server_20180728_1542.zip
File size
1.32 MiB
Downloads
35 downloads
File comment
UniPCemu server build 2018/07/28 15:42
File license

- Added support to the packet server to allow the "ethernetslip" protocol to disable adding and stripping of ethernet layer headers when sending and receiving packets.

The new protocol is the same as the old "slip" protocol(using a SLIP-encoded data stream), but instead of adding an Ethernet header when sending and removing the Ethernet header when receiving, the packet is sent/received directly to the router(only leaving the receiver filters in place). This will allow software that tries to use Ethernet packets over SLIP(Instead of IPv4 packets) to communicate properly using the server.

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 38 of 38, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Newer builds of the UniPCemu server can be found at the itch.io project page. One main improvement it has now is the ability to prevent windows from going to sleep(standby) by passing it the "nosleep" (without quotes) parameter, which is quite handy when you don't want Windows to go in standby while it's running.

UniPCemu Git repository