VOGONS

First post, by Derf@Work

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am looking for an emulator to install on a computer with a 64-bit operating system and windows 7 professional. I want the emulator to run Windows 95 software. Do you have an emulator that will do that? If so can you tell me how to download and install the emulator?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can use a VM with Win9x installed in it, but you should ask in the PC Emulation forum as this one is for DOS games on modern systems/OSs.

PC Emulation

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the info. Is there a VM that works on a 64 bit system and will run Win95 games.

Hi, there are several. Virtual PC 2007, VirtualBox and VMWare Player, for example.
The first one is best for Win95 because it has virtual addiitions for Win9x,
but has no 3D graphics and also requires DirectDraw output on the host,
which can be slow on Windows Vista and later (read here).

If you want to play simple 3D games, also try PCem or 86Box.
These are full-fledged emulators which can run Win9x with 3D support.

Good luck! 😀

Edit; @gdjacobs Sorry for my posting, seems we were writing at the same time. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Np.

@OP
There are many, many emulation solutions, and it's hard to make an explicit recommendation without knowing exactly what kind of games you want to play. I recommend finding out what's available for VM software to be hosted on your current platform and doing some experimentation.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll advise against Virtualbox for Win9X. Poor stability, no video chipset support and no extensions support. Also the last time I brought this up on this board I got labeled a troll so there's that fanbase problem.

For any "virtualization" apps that I know that work well with Win9x on Win7, it's only VirtualPC 2007. To do better with regards to hardware support (i.e. 3dfx, s3) would mean entering emulation territory (as in PCem and only PCem)

Note that all of these options require you to supply your legal copies of Windows 9X and use hard drive images. If you upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate you'll have a built-in Windows XP virtualization solution for exactly your compatibility situation IIRC

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 11, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Derf@Work wrote:

I am looking for an emulator to install on a computer with a 64-bit operating system and windows 7 professional. I want the emulator to run Windows 95 software.

But does it really have to be Windows 95. Maybe XP or even 32-bit Windows 7/8/10 will do, and it will be much less trouble when it comes to emulation.

Reply 9 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

I'll advise against Virtualbox for Win9X. Poor stability, no video chipset support and no extensions support. Also the last time I brought this up on this board I got labeled a troll so there's that fanbase problem.

Oh. 😢

leileilol wrote:

For any "virtualization" apps that I know that work well with Win9x on Win7, it's only VirtualPC 2007. To do better with regards to hardware support (i.e. 3dfx, s3) would mean entering emulation territory (as in PCem and only PCem)

Same here. On Macintosh, Virtual PC 2.1/3 once had a Voodoo pass through feature, at least.
For VirtualPC 2007, I think I had to use 2004 additions for Win95. Windows 3.1 seamless mouse worked via VPC 3.0 drivers.
The only other Win9x compatible semi-virtualization thing I know of was a Qemu+Kqemu combo.

Edit: It was qemu 0.9.1 for windows and Kqemu 1.3.0pre11.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 11, by Bandock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Azarien wrote:
Derf@Work wrote:

I am looking for an emulator to install on a computer with a 64-bit operating system and windows 7 professional. I want the emulator to run Windows 95 software.

But does it really have to be Windows 95. Maybe XP or even 32-bit Windows 7/8/10 will do, and it will be much less trouble when it comes to emulation.

Most games will run fine on Windows XP or even 32-bit Windows 7 at least. However, there are various oddball cases with certain games.

Here is my current list of such games:

Space Bucks
This game does not work on Windows XP or later. You can try to start it up all you want, but it will simply not start. No errors show up either. However, owning Windows 3.x or finding it somewhere (find it yourself) does it make possible to play on DOSBox.

Mechwarrior 2 Series
Most of these do not work well at all on Windows XP or later if you own the Windows 95 version. Only hope to getting the Windows 95 (Pentium Edition excluded for the most part) Edition to run is to run MechVM. Netmech does seem to work, but becomes out of sync bad. Another option is stick with the DOS version (which will run on nearly any system today).

There are probably more obscure cases of games not even bothering to run on Windows XP.

Last edited by Bandock on 2017-09-02, 20:08. Edited 1 time in total.