VOGONS

First post, by SooperWill99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right now I really want to get Windows 98 emulation working (my version is SE), after my close attempt with DOSBox-X from last summer, but I'm torn as to how I should approach it. VirtualBox, Virtual PC 2007, and VMWare are basically out since my PC isn't that great, and it runs Windows 10 which is why I can't use Virtual PC. I don't want to even try Hyper-V (and I don't even think 98 will run on it). I've also heard that PCEm is too slow, even for basic operations. So basically, my three choices are DOSBox-X, QEMU, and Bochs.
I tried DOSBox-X during the start of this summer. It worked well for the most part - a few problems here and there (I also used the 32-bit version as the 64-bit version has no dynamic core option), but everything worked for the most part as far as I know. However, one thing that I was never able to get working properly was the network connection. DOSBox-X, as well as other builds of DOSBox, support internet connection via NE2000, which requires WinPCap to work. I've installed WinPCap, but I couldn't figure out how to get the network working (is it supposed to be an automatic process?) I would like to know to make sure that I'm doing it right so I can be properly connected.
Then there's QEMU, which is more designed for Windows 98. I've got the latest version of QEMU, and I've figured out a little how to use the command line (via some webpages), but the emulation seems very flawed. In particular, the sound. It doesn't work at all - Windows 98 freezes during the duration that it should play sound. There are also several random restarts/crashes or restarting to a non-moving boot screen (which I need to restart QEMU), which might be related to the SB16, but I am not sure. I can't install any other audio drivers that will work. I haven't checked if it can do the network, however. I am confused, seeing as I know a lot of people who have used QEMU successfully to emulate Windows 98, complete with sound and network and everything, but there's almost nothing on the internet that I can find about the major SB16 sound problems I am having. Is it just related to the Windows version, and the Linux version works perfectly? Or should I use a different version of QEMU or QEMU's drivers or enable or disable QVM? I don't know.
My third and final option is Bochs, a similar emulator to QEMU. However, I am having trouble with two things: getting the network to run properly and properly mounting a 2GB disk image (which I created with bximage). In both cases, I get an error message, and I don't know how to set the internet settings correctly to get it to work. In particular, how do I put in the correct numbers and settings? Should I use an ethernet cable for network? I apparently have one, but it's "unplugged" from my PC so I can't use it. I also know there's two options: NE2000 (with WinPCap) and "slirp" - which one should I use? As for the
So, which one is the best of the three? And can I resolve the sound/restart issues in QEMU, and/or get the network getting in one of these? I would really like to finally proceed with an emulated Windows 98 experience.

Reply 1 of 1, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SooperWill99 wrote:

I've also heard that PCEm is too slow, even for basic operations.

Well, it depends on what we define as slow. I was once running a 486DX50 emulation on an Athlon x64 X2.
Re: Working Windows 98 Emulator with 3D-Acceleration?

SooperWill99 wrote:

]Then there's QEMU, which is more designed for Windows 98. I've got the latest version of QEMU,
and I've figured out a little how to use the command line (via some webpages), but the emulation seems very flawed.

When Windows XP was still supported, I was running qemu 0.9.1 for windows and Kqemu 1.3.0pre11. 😀

In particular, the sound. It doesn't work at all - Windows 98 freezes during the duration that it should play sound.
There are also several random restarts/crashes or restarting to a non-moving boot screen (which I need to restart QEMU),
which might be related to the SB16, but I am not sure.

Please check the batch or configuration file of qemu. There should be entries for sound and machine type.
TRy changing them to -soundhw sb16 and -m isapc . Once you got Win98 installed, you may change them back if you want.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//