VOGONS

First post, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone else try out DOSbox on the Wii? For a PowerPC game console emulating a 386-ish x86 PC, it runs pretty well. Most 2D games run at full speed, sometimes there's a little stutter in the sound with the odd game. Wolfenstein 3D runs nearly at full speed. Even Alone in the Dark runs fast enough to be playable. I think the cut-off point is Doom, way too slow on DOSbox Wii. Only other strange issue is games using DOS/4GW don't seem to work.

If anyone here has a Wii with the homebrew channel installed, I highly recommend DOSbox for Wii. Just load up an SD card with some DOS games, grab a wireless mouse and keyboard and enjoy.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 1 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I haven't powered my Wii in three-thousand ages... 🙁

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 3, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's a shame, the Wii makes a great rombox on top of its native Wii and Gamecube support. Yeah, I'm a console peasant.

I realize one could just hook up a PC (even an old one) to a TV, but it's the all-in-one aspect of the Wii that makes it appealing. Besides, it's meant for TV use, PCs generally aren't.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 3 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, sure. And I did have Dosbox running on it at some point. And I was interested in getting Exult ported to it... But family... time... 🙁

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper