VOGONS

First post, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been doing some research and experimenting with various solutions, but I'm looking for a way to run late 90s to early 2000s Windows software and games. This is mostly inspired from coming across my old collection of software magazine discs such as PC Gamer. This is of course out of the scope of DosBox, PCem and related forks, and more to do with more modern hypervisors probably. I have experimented with Virtualbox, but going beyond VGA 640x480 16 color mode doesn't seem to be possible. Tried many solutions, some of which end up in blue screens and Windows protection errors. To complicate things a bit, I'm running a Linux host, so having an open source solution is preferred. What are my options? Thanks everyone!

Reply 1 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Many VirtualBox fans like to stomp their feet to declare Win98 being supported in their favorite VM software by means of a late third-party VESA1.x video driver but that's not stable and fully featured either (and VESA in Win9x wasn't really a thing then).

PCem's the only one that seems to be on track for this target you're wanting at acceptable speed. SBPCI 128 emulation was recently added and that's definitely a common Win98-era hardware product. Voodoo2 SLI's also handled and it's possible future Voodoo cards may be emulated (as, well..... 3dfx was one of the only companies to bother opening up specs and papers before their closure and they were ubiquitous anyway so it's most logical to emulate 3dfx, cult fandom and hype aside)

I was able to complete Half-Life from beginning to end in PCem last year without any major problems (other than HL's own bugs). 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only thing with PCem, Zorix, is you're gonna want a decent PC to be emulating high-end Pentium, no throwing a Raspberry Pi at this.

... "Linux host" isn't terribly detailed in explaining your host machine, and I usually assume the worst.😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well you can't compile PCem on a Pi as x86 architectures are required (can't compile with interpreters only currently), and you can't run VirtualBox on a Pi, so I think we can safely rule out the Pi....

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 8, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll check my system when I get back to it, but it's probably the BIOS rom. I wonder if I can dump the BIOS roms from the older motherboards I have and use those in PCem. If not, I will find another way. I do plan on using a real PC, not a RPi or other SBC. I have an older Phenom II 965, and Ubuntu 16.04 currently. Didn't think I needed to go into details since I know how to operate and compile software on Linux, I just didn't want to get a suggestion for a Windows solution. But I think PCem is workable, if the performance is that bad, I'll look at compiling it with some optimizations, and if it's still an issue, I'll have to wait until I buy new hardware. The video card market right now is not helping that either!

Thank you both!