VOGONS

Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 104, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Should be able to post about a dozen troublesome games tomorrow. If the error log not good enogh then at least the game list will be something.

DOSBox Compilation Guides
DosBox Feature Request Thread
PC Game Compatibility List
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Running DRM games offline

Reply 101 of 104, by danoon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a quick status update. Things are still moving along.

• Added GitHub mirror https://github.com/danoon2/Boxedwine
  • Added Raspberry Pi build
  • Fixed an issue where Wine 5 would sometimes fail to create the first window on slower machines.
  • Fixed two FPU bugs in the normal core

I started playing around on a Raspberry Pi 4. It's not exactly fast for Boxedwine, but since I'm only using the normal core, I guess that isn't surprising. Right now it seems like Roller Coaster Tycoon gets about 1 frame per second. I already have a simple JIT recompiler for x86 that I can use as a template for ARM. The x86 JIT seems to give a little more than 2x improvement so maybe ARM will see the same improvement.

Attachments

• rtc-raspberry.jpg
    Filename
    rtc-raspberry.jpg
    File size
    161.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

http://www.boxedwine.org/

Reply 102 of 104, by danoon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finished the simple ARMv7 recompiler. MDK performance on the Raspberry Pi 4 improved from 11 to 21. So almost doubling performance as expected. There is still room for improvement. When generating the ASM, each emulated op creates the ASM independently. So I see generated code where it will store a value from a register to memory at the end of an emulated instruction. Then the beginning of the next emulated instruction will read the memory back into the same register.

Attachments

• mdk-raspberry.jpg
    Filename
    mdk-raspberry.jpg
    File size
    116.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

http://www.boxedwine.org/

Reply 103 of 104, by xpclient

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is BoxedWine's goal currently only games or Windows 9x apps too which broke on modern Windows? I tried a few apps with it - Publisher 95, Publisher 97, certain apps which require old 32-bit Video for Windows codecs, Encarta 99/2000, Picture It! 2001, Picture It! 2002. Not a single one worked 🙁

Reply 104 of 104, by danoon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xpclient wrote on 2020-08-08, 20:26:

Is BoxedWine's goal currently only games or Windows 9x apps too which broke on modern Windows? I tried a few apps with it - Publisher 95, Publisher 97, certain apps which require old 32-bit Video for Windows codecs, Encarta 99/2000, Picture It! 2001, Picture It! 2002. Not a single one worked 🙁

I definitely spend most of my time getting games to work, but apps should work too. Boxedwine just runs Wine inside a custom Linux/CPU emulator. So if Wine can run the app, then Boxedwine should be able to do it too, and if not, then its a bug. I looked up Publisher on the Wine app db, it looks like Wine had problems running the older versions.

I did try Encarta 99. It failed to install, but then I changed the Windows version to "Windows 98" (from the UI this can be done from a combox box, from the command line you will need to launch winecfg) and the installer worked for the most part, just one error. Encarta started, but some things didn't work. The audio seemed way too fast, and sometimes it just hung/paused for 1 to 2 minutes. If it complains about the cd missing when you run it, you can mount the directory containing the cd files (should be easy to do if you are using the UI, see the area I circled in the attached screen shot).

Attachments

• Encarta99Mount.jpg
    Filename
    Encarta99Mount.jpg
    File size
    166.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • encarta.jpg
    Filename
    encarta.jpg