Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 144, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
danoon wrote on 2021-03-02, 20:29:

(Requiem) ... but the D3D version always complains about DirectX 6.1.

You can update the game with 1.3 patch to remove DirectX version check, or check out here to patch out DirectX version check for the more stable 1.2 version or the free playable demo. I recommend version 1.2 for Direct3D renderer. The Direct3D version can render any native resolutions including 16:10 and 16:9 widescreen, so that makes it a better version than 3Dfx Glide. I had tried 1440x900 and 1280x960.

The Direct3D version should work better with Boxedwine as it takes out the additional layer of translation from nGlide->Wine.

Reply 141 of 144, by danoon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2021-03-02, 20:47:
danoon wrote on 2021-03-02, 20:29:

(Requiem) ... but the D3D version always complains about DirectX 6.1.

You can update the game with 1.3 patch to remove DirectX version check, or check out here to patch out DirectX version check for the more stable 1.2 version or the free playable demo. I recommend version 1.2 for Direct3D renderer. The Direct3D version can render any native resolutions including 16:10 and 16:9 widescreen, so that makes it a better version than 3Dfx Glide. I had tried 1440x900 and 1280x960.

The Direct3D version should work better with Boxedwine as it takes out the additional layer of translation from nGlide->Wine.

Thanks for that, the hex edits worked well. The demo seems a bit touchy, after exiting, if I go back in it gives me a path error. Maybe I need to implement snapshots in Boxedwine. All it would do is zip up the container folder. 😀

http://www.boxedwine.org/

Reply 142 of 144, by alberthamik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I did in fact install the nglide wrapper and the Glide renderer still performed terribly. Now I have heard of the D3D renderer being buggy from even a former developer themselves, but I was unaware of people finding the 1.2 version being less buggy. I might try that (potential differences of game functionality aside as I speedrun the game), but one issue that will crop up regardless is the fact that the mouse loses focus when the game creates a new window, and I do remember this actually happening for me in the past when testing the game with dxwnd and also in Linux with regular Wine. It happens regardless of the renderer used, which is quite annoying. But I vaguely remember there being an option in regular old Wine to be able to tell it not to lose focus of the mouse regardless of a change in window state, so long as the window was in focus at least. I think I'm remembering correctly anyways.

Oh right, and also on the note of things I can do in regular wine, for games like Requiem I use a winmm wrapper to allow for playing ripped CD audio, and in regular wine I'm able to change the dynamic library settings to tell Wine to use my native winmm.dll. Is there a way of accessing winecfg in Boxedwine?

Reply 143 of 144, by danoon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alberthamik wrote on 2021-03-03, 02:35:

Yeah I did in fact install the nglide wrapper and the Glide renderer still performed terribly. Now I have heard of the D3D renderer being buggy from even a former developer themselves, but I was unaware of people finding the 1.2 version being less buggy. I might try that (potential differences of game functionality aside as I speedrun the game), but one issue that will crop up regardless is the fact that the mouse loses focus when the game creates a new window, and I do remember this actually happening for me in the past when testing the game with dxwnd and also in Linux with regular Wine. It happens regardless of the renderer used, which is quite annoying. But I vaguely remember there being an option in regular old Wine to be able to tell it not to lose focus of the mouse regardless of a change in window state, so long as the window was in focus at least. I think I'm remembering correctly anyways.

Oh right, and also on the note of things I can do in regular wine, for games like Requiem I use a winmm wrapper to allow for playing ripped CD audio, and in regular wine I'm able to change the dynamic library settings to tell Wine to use my native winmm.dll. Is there a way of accessing winecfg in Boxedwine?

Boxedwine is really a Linux kernel emulator that happens to run Wine. For the most part Wine is just a normal 32-bit build. I wrote my own winex11.drv replacement, but other than that, its just a stock version of Wine. So everything you can do with Wine on Linux, hopefully you can do with Wine inside of Boxedwine. With that said, playing CD audio won't work because I haven't implemented support for hardware CD's or ISO. But if the winmm wrapper loads the ISO directly, then that could work, the ISO would just need to be inside the emulated file system. Each "Container" in the UI is it's own file system for Linux which contains the .wine prefix in "root/home/username/.wine". You are free to modify this file system when Boxedwine is not running. To run winecfg from the UI, just go to the container tab, select the container on the left, then hit the "Run Wine App" on the right. See the screen shots below.

wine-app.jpg
Filename
wine-app.jpg
File size
118.14 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
chose-app.jpg
Filename
chose-app.jpg
File size
202.78 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

http://www.boxedwine.org/

Reply 144 of 144, by alberthamik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Forgot to reply, but I did test that winecfg finally as you mentioned it, though it had been awhile since I'd done the dynamic library override and at the time I'd not figured out which dlls to get music working if at all. It could be boxedwine needs me to override more than just one dll, like the ogg vorbis ones too perhaps. Regardless, I didn't test further as I was still having performance issues with Requiem. I have hopes your planned tweak to the 64-bit executable might help me with Gunmetal.