Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Emulation of old PCs, PC hardware, or PC peripherals.

Re: Boxedwine (Wine on multiple platforms)

Postby danoon » 2019-9-20 @ 04:21

3Dmark 2001 is starting to run. It didn't fully install in the emulator, so I installed it on the PC and was able to run the emulator against that. Most of the benchmarks works.
Attachments
3dmark01.jpg
danoon

Postby danoon » 2019-9-27 @ 03:20

I was curious about Android and got BoxedWine to build on it. It's pretty cool to see it work, but it is also obvious it will need a better CPU core, the default normal core only gets a score of 3 on the MDK performance test on my Samsung S9, so maybe a 7MHz Pentium :)
Attachments
android.jpg
danoon

Postby captain_koloth » 2019-10-07 @ 16:27

danoon wrote:I was curious about Android and got BoxedWine to build on it. It's pretty cool to see it work, but it is also obvious it will need a better CPU core, the default normal core only gets a score of 3 on the MDK performance test on my Samsung S9, so maybe a 7MHz Pentium :)

Wow! Please keep working on this! You have no idea how much time I've wasted trying to get Win 9x games to run on Android (I can't quite articulate why but I have this dream of running Alpha Centauri on my phone). There are various QEMU-based Android applications out there that supposedly could be used for this, but they're all broken to the point of unusability in one form or another.
captain_koloth

Postby robertmo » 2019-10-08 @ 07:50

64-bit version wants to install itself to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\BoxedWine
robertmo
l33t

Postby danoon » 2019-10-08 @ 15:46

captain_koloth: I'm still playing around with Android. I hope to have my faster CPU emulation for x64 running soon. But for ARM64, it could be a long while before I get something faster for that.

robertmo: Thanks, I didn't even notice that. I fixed the installer so that the next one I make will default to the 64-bit version of Program Files
danoon

Postby Jo22 » 2019-10-09 @ 03:44

captain_koloth wrote:
danoon wrote:I was curious about Android and got BoxedWine to build on it.
It's pretty cool to see it work, but it is also obvious it will need a better CPU core, the default normal core only gets a score
of 3 on the MDK performance test on my Samsung S9, so maybe a 7MHz Pentium :)

Wow! Please keep working on this![..]

I think the same, great work so far! Considering this is the work of a single person is remarkable, IMHO. :cool:
Once If I have got some free time, I'll do more games/application testing for Boxedwine again, too. :)

captain_koloth wrote: You have no idea how much time I've wasted trying to get Win 9x games to run on Android
(I can't quite articulate why but I have this dream of running Alpha Centauri on my phone).

Hey Captain, I wanted to play Solar Vengeance and Space Exploration Mission Alpha on a mobile device since ages, too. :D
So far, I'm using some DOSBox and Windows 3.x, but it's not perfect since the mouse integration doesn't work so well.
The mice drivers of DOS and WIndows 3.x expect a relative mouse input (mouse moves), which doesn't work so nicely with a stylus.
"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//
Jo22
l33t

Previous

Return to PC Emulation