VOGONS

First post, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What would be the easiest way to run Desqview/X in a VM? I want to experiment with having Desqview/X running in a VM, but I don't know what is the best way to do this. I also want to mess around with networking as well.

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VirtualBox worked for me, though it wasn't very stable.
http://youtu.be/sOYcY6oeBhY , http://youtu.be/OG1wbPfafds

Guess it also was related to the use of Qemm in a virtual machine (was AMD-V enabled ? Can't remember, sorry.)
Speaking of Qemm, It was reported that newer CPUs had issues with VME support at some point (Ryzen ?)

VME ist an extension of V86 mode, which some memory managers like 386MAX and QEMM may have supported.
So I'm not certain how well it will work for you. Perhaps QEMU is more stable, not sure.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're welcome. 😀

It's not that hard to use, but you can also give 86Box/PCem a try.
This is how my QEMU batch file for an old Linux distribution looks like (Open Linux):

boot.bat

@echo off
cd files
qemu -L . -m 256 -hda hdd.vmdk -hdb hddb.vmdk -cdrom IsoFile.iso -fda floppy.ima -vga std -serial file:CON

cd files changes to the files directory, where my disk images reside.
-m is for memory
-hda for first HDD image
-hdb for second HDD image
-cdrom for ISO file
-fda for first floppy image
-fdb for second floppy image
-vga std for plain VGA (ISA)
-serial file for debug/status output (CON is Windows console)

For creating HDD images, you can create them using the same tools that can be used for DOSBox (bximage, etc.)
Once partitioned/formatted with FAT/FAT32, these images can be opened with WinImage or similar tool

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 4, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So it took a lot of trial and error, but I got Desqview/X working in PCem v13.1! The only problem I still have is when starting Win 3.11 in a window, it says that microsoft network didn't start and the VxD driver for something that came with QEMM not loading either. Other than that it is at a state where it runs. I would like to get TCP/IP set-up and trying to see if I can atleast visit an old website.

EDIT: Oh and also I'd like to get sound set-up.