VOGONS

First post, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’m wanting to try implementing PowerStrip in my VM with virtual box to increase resolution to a custom setting. I currently have Digital Doctor installed and fixed at its maximum of 1600x1200 successfully. I’m wondering how exactly I need to go about trying PowerStrip without messing up my VM (I REALLY do not want to have to reinstall Windows - or would it worst case scenario boot in safe mood if the resolution or switch between these two applications somehow messed it up?) This is the first VM I’ve ever created. I want to do this as safely as possible. So, do I need to remove digital doctor first and then download PowerStrip and try it or could I just try it on top of digital Doctor or somehow disable it and revert back to original graphics within digital Doctor? Am open to any and all suggestions to try this switch without messing up Windows. Thank you so much in advance!

Reply 1 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PowerStrip iirc only really makes a custom monitor driver at best/worst. I can't see why it wouldn't cooperate with Display Doctor. Then again I never dabbled in VMs where Win9x is unsupported yet blindly suggested....

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 6, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

PowerStrip iirc only really makes a custom monitor driver at best/worst. I can't see why it wouldn't cooperate with Display Doctor. Then again I never dabbled in VMs where Win9x is unsupported yet blindly suggested....

Thanks so much for responding. (: I sure hope so! That would be very easy instead of having to mess with getting rid of display Doctor first and then revert if it doesn’t work. Worst case scenario would windows reboot in safe mode if something went wrong with changing the resolution/messing with graphics? Ah, yeah, PCEm is what’s reccomended for Win9x VM’s right?

Reply 3 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That depends on the game you're running and how good your CPU is (i.e. late i5 emulating a Pentium MMX guest). PCem's an emulator, not a VM. The only VM that I can think of that has decent Win9x support would be the older Virtual PCs (2004 and 2007) which are hard to recommend as they might have trouble working on a modern Windows host. Qemu also used to handle Win9x at one point, though that one point was pre-kqemu....

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 6, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

That depends on the game you're running and how good your CPU is (i.e. late i5 emulating a Pentium MMX guest). PCem's an emulator, not a VM. The only VM that I can think of that has decent Win9x support would be the older Virtual PCs (2004 and 2007) which are hard to recommend as they might have trouble working on a modern Windows host. Qemu also used to handle Win9x at one point, though that one point was pre-kqemu....

Oh. Whoa this is a lot bigger of a world than I thought. Lol I just looked into the differences between emulators and Vm’s for playing older games. Are you able to scale in PCem/DosBox like in VirtualBox? I’m going to want to play my childhood games from 98 through XP in time. There are just SO many options. My gosh. Overwhelming. I have an i7700K. It seems maybe emulators are less taxing on the CPU so I would always prefer that over really pushing my CPU. Too many options. No idea which direction to go.

Reply 6 of 6, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Azarien wrote:
IMeganElisabeth wrote:

without messing up my VM (I REALLY do not want to have to reinstall Windows

You do realize that you can always make a backup of your VM in case you break it?

I did not realize this. Thank you so much for mentioning this solution! I will have to look into how to do this! Thanks you very much.