VOGONS

Windows Vista

Topic actions

First post, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is currently the best supported way to install Windows Vista? VirtualBox?

Reply 2 of 5, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:

Install on what platform?

Well, I’m just needing to know if a certain PC game will run in Windows Vista because ReShade requires Vista. I wish I had someone who could just test it out but I unfortunately don’t know anyone with Vista.

Reply 4 of 5, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

It only "requires" Vista as a minimum supported OS (i.e. NT 6.0 or higher). It doesn't literally mean it only runs on Vista.

I know. I’m wanting to try to run an older game with ReShade.

Reply 5 of 5, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're using a PC that has an available hard drive bay, then the easiest & safest way would be to install a second hard drive, unplug your primary hard drive, install Vista on the secondary hard drive, reconnect your primary hard drive and then use the BIOS to select the boot drive. (On my main PC, pressing F12 during POST invokes a boot device menu that I use to choose either the Windows 10 drive or the Windows XP drive.)

Note 1: In this post, I'm not making a distinction between mechanical hard drives and solid state drives. If you use an SSD for Vista though, try to get one for which the manifacturer provides a TRIM utility. Vista doesn't know what SSDs need.
Note 2: Power off the computer before connecting or disconnecting hard drives.