VOGONS

First post, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’m wanting to uninstall the DgVoodoo driver I installed within my Windows 98 in PCem as it is limiting my resolution possibilities. Do I need to download an uninstaller or just somehow remove it in device manager or something else entirely? I just want to make sure I only remove the driver and don’t mess with the actual GPU itself.

Reply 2 of 6, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Since PCem already emulates the Voodoo/Voodoo2 internally, you really really don't need to install a modern wrapper intended for DX9/11 hardware.

Oh it does? I actually manually installed the driver based off of a guide as I did not know this.. I’m comparing it with my VirtualBox Windows 98 where I don’t have DgVoodoo installed and it’s allowing me to use 32 bit color with 1600x1200 whereas PCem won’t let me use even 1024 with 32 bit color selected and I’ve found online that it has to do with DgVoodoo 1 only allowing a certain resolution so I was wanting to remove the driver to see if that allows me to increase resolution like I’m able to in VirtualBox with no DgVoodoo drivers installed. Until I need it for a specific game of course.

Reply 3 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DGVoodoo shouldn't increase resolutions. It is an API wrapper, not a video driver. It will also be useless under VirtualBox with Win98 as there is no accelerated driver supported for that VM under Win98. Also DGVoodoo only wraps to D3D, in which VirtualBox (in a supported guest like XP) would pass it through the WineD3D wrapper to OpenGL which can have even more variably worse results.

If you want the most resolutions supported in PCem, emulate a Mach64 video card at 4MB. It'll bring you 1280x1024x24 at least. Voodoo 1/2 cards on the other hand are limited to a specific set of resolutions in 16-bit color (512x384, 640x400, 640x480, 800x600 (v1 SLI), 1024x768 (v2 SLI)). Installing DGVoodoo will not change this nor will help as there is no emulated DX9-featured video card.

If there's a guide that involves DGVoodoo being used within an emulator or virtual machine, it's often blind advice/misleading. DGVoodoo works best and is designed for the host OS. It's intended to get older 3d games working on modern systems with modern hardware. Do not confuse DGVoodoo as a driver to use for 3dfx hardware.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 6, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

DGVoodoo shouldn't increase resolutions. It is an API wrapper, not a video driver. It will also be useless under VirtualBox with Win98 as there is no accelerated driver supported for that VM under Win98. Also DGVoodoo only wraps to D3D, in which VirtualBox (in a supported guest like XP) would pass it through the WineD3D wrapper to OpenGL which can have even more variably worse results.

If you want the most resolutions supported in PCem, emulate a Mach64 video card at 4MB. It'll bring you 1280x1024x24 at least. Voodoo 1/2 cards on the other hand are limited to a specific set of resolutions in 16-bit color (512x384, 640x400, 640x480, 800x600 (v1 SLI), 1024x768 (v2 SLI)). Installing DGVoodoo will not change this nor will help as there is no emulated DX9-featured video card.

If there's a guide that involves DGVoodoo being used within an emulator or virtual machine, it's often blind advice/misleading. DGVoodoo works best and is designed for the host OS. It's intended to get older 3d games working on modern systems with modern hardware. Do not confuse DGVoodoo as a driver to use for 3dfx hardware.

Thank you so very much for all of this information. I am currently using S3 ViRGE/DX with 4 MB so this is likely the reason why my resolution is being limited then? Am I able to configure the Windows 98 I already have setup in PCem or will I have to create an entirely new setup to change it to Mach64?

Reply 5 of 6, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IMeganElisabeth wrote:

Thank you so very much for all of this information. I am currently using S3 ViRGE/DX with 4 MB so this is likely the reason why my resolution is being limited then? Am I able to configure the Windows 98 I already have setup in PCem or will I have to create an entirely new setup to change it to Mach64?

It should be simple enough to just change the video driver in the display properties, Windows 98 might have ATI Mach64 drivers built-in IIRC.

Reply 6 of 6, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
IMeganElisabeth wrote:

It should be simple enough to just change the video driver in the display properties, Windows 98 might have ATI Mach64 drivers built-in IIRC.

Oh wow that easy? Thank you very much! Would’ve been making a ton more work for myself. I’m trying to get as close to 3840x2160 as possible in Windows 98.. would Geforce 6800 then be as close as I can get with an official supported version?