VOGONS

First post, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’ve run an application to determine exactly what is changed/added upon installation of a game and now know exactly what I need to have on my host OS to get the 32 bit game to be recognized as being installed whilst bypassing the 16 bit installer. The folders I have easily dragged and dropped and placed properly. However, I’ve never messed with system files and registry’s like this before and want to make sure I’m not messing up my host OS, knowing what to do. After exporting and importing the Registry Keys will the software logs, text files, and .ini’s as seen below need to be added as well or are those things the system detects through the other things being added (such as registry keys). I saw the .ini files seem like they are possibly for my main OS... so just don’t want to mess anything up there. I have included the generated list of changes I’m needing to incorporate below. Thanks so much in advance.

Installation Report: EL MFC Application
Generated by InCtrl5, version 1.0.0.0
Install program: D:\SETUP.EXE
4/9/2018 6:58 AM

------------------------------------------------------------
Registry

Keys ignored: 0
---------------
* (none)

Keys added: 5
-------------
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CreativeWonders\MadelineEuropeanAdventures
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\DeviceClasses\{6994AD04-93EF-11D0-A3CC-00A0C9223196}\##?#PCI#VEN_8086&DEV_2415&SUBSYS_00008086&REV_01#3&267A616A&0&28#{6994ad04-93ef-11d0-a3cc-00a0c9223196}\#Wave\Device Parameters\B
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Lsa\SspiCache\6

Keys deleted: 4
---------------
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\DeviceClasses\{6994AD04-93EF-11D0-A3CC-00A0C9223196}\##?#PCI#VEN_8086&DEV_2415&SUBSYS_00008086&REV_01#3&267A616A&0&28#{6994ad04-93ef-11d0-a3cc-00a0c9223196}\#Wave\Device Parameters\C
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Lsa\SspiCache\8

Values added: 1
---------------
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CreativeWonders\MadelineEuropeanAdventures "(Default)"
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\CWONDERS\MADEURO\SAVED
Disk contents

Drives tracked: 1
-----------------
* c:\

Folders added: 2
----------------
c:\CWONDERS\MADEURO\SAVED
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Creative Wonders

Files added: 6
--------------
c:\CWONDERS\MADEURO\EURO.ICO
Date: 6/7/1996 10:17 AM
Size: 730 bytes
c:\CWONDERS\MADEURO\EURODO.ICO
Date: 6/7/1996 10:17 AM
Size: 766 bytes
c:\CWONDERS\MADEURO\SSAW.ICO
Date: 9/1/1995 1:42 AM
Size: 766 bytes
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Creative Wonders\Art Workshop Try & Buy.lnk
Date: 4/9/2018 6:57 AM
Size: 1,189 bytes
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Creative Wonders\Madeline European Adventures.lnk
Size: 1,119 bytes
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Creative Wonders\Madeline European Demos and Options.lnk
Size: 1,197 bytes

Files changed: 2
----------------
c:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.chk
Old date: 4/9/2018 6:55 AM
New date: 4/9/2018 6:57 AM
Old size: 8,192 bytes
New size: 8,192 bytes
c:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software.LOG
Old date: 4/9/2018 6:57 AM
New date: 4/9/2018 6:57 AM
Old size: 1,024 bytes
New size: 1,024 bytes
INI file

Ini files tracked: 4
--------------------
* C:\boot.ini
* c:\windows\control.ini
* c:\windows\system.ini
* c:\windows\win.ini
Text file

Text files tracked: 2
---------------------
* c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
* c:\windows\system32\config.nt
InCtrl5, Copyright © 2000 by Ziff Davis Media, Inc.
Written by Neil J. Rubenking
First published in PC Magazine, December 5, 2000.

Reply 1 of 4, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

are these details from when you installed the game in VM? i am no registry expert, but the keys being added into the registry in in their own root folder specific to the game and the keys being deleted are credentials - i am not sure what they are credentials for - if this is a log from the installing of the game in VM, what does the log of uninstalling it look like? are the deleted keys added back?

Reply 2 of 4, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Agathosdaimon wrote:

are these details from when you installed the game in VM? i am no registry expert, but the keys being added into the registry in in their own root folder specific to the game and the keys being deleted are credentials - i am not sure what they are credentials for - if this is a log from the installing of the game in VM, what does the log of uninstalling it look like? are the deleted keys added back?

Yes this is from when I installed in a VM. Well, I was thinking maybe it had to do with me uninstalling first and then reinstalling to log the changes made since I had already installed the game before. Since I see only the 6/8 was changed on the end of those added and deleted keys. I do know in the registry txt file it listed I had opened the application 6 times so I’m thinking it’s linked somehow.. I truly don’t know though. I could be way off.

Reply 3 of 4, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

okay, sorry i admit i really dont know either when it comes to registry stuff, hopefully some other more knowledgeable person can chime in here

Reply 4 of 4, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Agathosdaimon wrote:

okay, sorry i admit i really dont know either when it comes to registry stuff, hopefully some other more knowledgeable person can chime in here

Hopefully. I’m just mainly wanting to know if .ini files are typically required for the game to be sensed as installed as well as functionality or if I’ll be able to avoid only those system file changes. Thanks again so much for your responses and link to what I’m sure I’ll use for a 32 bit installer in the future!