VOGONS

First post, by SooperWill99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry I'm posting this from VOGONS instead of PCEm forums, but...they require the administrator to verify your account, and I haven't got any reply back from them.
So, basically, I successfully installed Windows 98 SE in PCEm. It has a decent speed, and I have a decent computer, but most of the games I have tried (DOS and Windows) have problems.

Also, I don't know how to properly mount mixed-mode CD images in PCEm. It doesn't work with ISO+WAV which works with DOSBox-X, which is frustrating, but BIN+CUE works.

First, I installed Disney's Classic Video Games from an ISO image, which includes Aladdin, The Jungle Book, and The Lion King. It works well, but there's one problem: the game runs significantly slower (aside from the MIDI music) the larger you have the window size.

Secondly, NBA Jam: Tournament Edition (using a BIN+CUE set) works fine with the installation, but when you actually try to run the game, it freezes when it says "Loading NBA Jam 'Tournament Edition'...". The cursor can move, but everything else on the desktop is frozen. CTRL+Alt+Delete doesn't even work. Restarting the emulation is the only way out.

I also tried Rayman, but it has two major issues. One is that the intro plays EXTREMELY slowly, and the framerate of PCEm drops to around 15%. The other is that there's no sound effects, yet the CD music is working fine!

And then Earthworm Jim (DOS version) almost works fine, except it has the exact opposite problem as Rayman: there's sound effects, but no music, even though I'm mounting it from a CUE file with multiple BIN files specified in it.

EDIT: I've tried making several cue files of BIN files with some music tracks, and they don't have any sound in Win98's CD player, so something's obviously wrong with CD audio support here, even though it somehow worked with Rayman.

Are all these bugs in PCEm, or am I doing something wrong? I followed a tutorial, so that's how I got here. If these are bugs, then PCEm NEEDS to improve, as well as add ISO+WAV support with CUE files.

Reply 1 of 3, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably incomplete emulation, and ISO+WAV is not implemented. You also need a quite powerful PC.
You can also use 86Box as an alternative (I contribute to it a lot, and I'll notify the staff about ISO+WAV 😀 ).
Edit: its latest binary is on irc.rol.im, softhistory channel and ask the staff about it.

Reply 3 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SooperWill99 wrote:

Secondly, NBA Jam: Tournament Edition (using a BIN+CUE set) works fine with the installation, but when you actually try to run the game, it freezes when it says "Loading NBA Jam 'Tournament Edition'...". The cursor can move, but everything else on the desktop is frozen. CTRL+Alt+Delete doesn't even work. Restarting the emulation is the only way out.

It has to be run from DOS. There's plenty of 94/95 DOS games that misbehave under Windows.

SooperWill99 wrote:

And then Earthworm Jim (DOS version) almost works fine, except it has the exact opposite problem as Rayman: there's sound effects, but no music, even though I'm mounting it from a CUE file with multiple BIN files specified in it.

Jim's music works for me, then again all my images are bincueccd with no crazy dumptracksaswav/mp3/separatefiles dumps...

apsosig.png
long live PCem