VOGONS

First post, by SooperWill99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry this is the second time that I've had to bother others on this forum, but once again, I'm facing issues with Windows 98 emulation. With the suggestion of one user, I decided to try using 86Box after discovering that there were some issues with some games in PCEm, and it was more actively maintained. However, I have one problem with 86Box that I never had with PCEm: I can't get Windows 98 SE to detect any sound driver. I've tried installing it twice (I also couldn't get it to detect the graphic drivers the first time), but I still can't get any audio to work. I've tried [ISA] Sound Blaster 16 and nothing happens. What am I supposed to do? I've been wanting to do this for a while now!

Reply 1 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pcem is maintained. V14 was released recently. If you have issues with games in pcem then post bug reports on the pcem forum.

If you want a build newer than v14 then you'll have to build it yourself.

I can't help with 86box.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 7, by Battler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What build of 86Box did you use? I know for a while we had an issue (that was also present on PCem) where Windows 98 (and SE too?) was misdetecting the Sound Blaster 16 as AdLib. When it was fixed on PCem, I also applied the fix to 86Box.
It might also be worth trying to set the Sound Blaster 16 to IRQ 7 which is the only supported IRQ on PCem, so it would match, 86Box defaults to IRQ 5 (which is the de facto standard IRQ for the SB16). Alternately, you could use the ES1371 (or SB PCI 128 which is the same thing) and its WDM driver for 98/98 SE which is floating around the Internet, just make sure it does not share IRQ's with another PCI device because the driver doesn't like that (results in a Fatal Exception 0E).

Reply 4 of 7, by SooperWill99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Battler wrote:

What build of 86Box did you use? I know for a while we had an issue (that was also present on PCem) where Windows 98 (and SE too?) was misdetecting the Sound Blaster 16 as AdLib. When it was fixed on PCem, I also applied the fix to 86Box.
It might also be worth trying to set the Sound Blaster 16 to IRQ 7 which is the only supported IRQ on PCem, so it would match, 86Box defaults to IRQ 5 (which is the de facto standard IRQ for the SB16). Alternately, you could use the ES1371 (or SB PCI 128 which is the same thing) and its WDM driver for 98/98 SE which is floating around the Internet, just make sure it does not share IRQ's with another PCI device because the driver doesn't like that (results in a Fatal Exception 0E).

I have the build from April 5, 2018. And now that I've checked, it DOES have sound, just that it's Ad-Lib instead of Sound Blaster. So that must be the problem! I'll try an updated version and see if the sound will work properly in that version.

Reply 6 of 7, by SooperWill99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, now I have a new problem: the new version, with its different hard disk code, won't recognize my hard disk at all, despite trying all the types of hard disks and even fiddling around with the controllers.. I don't have an option for IDE+PIO like I did before which worked, so I'm stuck!
I've opened this issue on GitHub, so you can come investigate.