VOGONS

MT-32 Emulation

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 35, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

Well, that sucks. I vowed I'd never get another Creative Labs sound card after this Audigy fiasco, but if they're the only ones with EAX, I dunno... I might have to.

<Roles eyes.> I really don't think you understood what I wrote. The other cards understand the same EAX that Soundblaster cards understand. They just don't implement it quite as well. Soundblaster's competitors have other strengths in terms how they position 3D audio.

Philips and Turtle Beach do not write their own 3D positioning algorithms, instead they rely on 3rd party software companies to do that for them.

Philips uses QSound http://www.qsound.com/2002/

Turtle Beach uses the Cirrus Logic 4630 DSP, which in turn uses Sensaura
http://www.sensaura.com/
which is the same DSP used in the Microsoft Xbox and Nvidia Nforce integrated video/audio motherboard.

Both of the above sites have downloadable white papers discussing their technology.
Refer to 3Dsoundsurge for a discussion of the various pros and cons of each card.

What happened with the Audigy? I was under the impression Creative Labs had finally produced a well made sound card.

Reply 21 of 35, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

I vowed I'd never get another Creative Labs sound card after this Audigy fiasco, but if they're the only ones with EAX, I dunno... I might have to.

Eh!?
http://techsupport.iomagic.com/support/soundc … eater/index.htm

4 or 5.1 speaker applications
Up to 96 DirectSound3D™ hardware accelerated streams
Sensaura™ Technologies Support
EnvironmentalFX™ 3D acoustical environment rendering with full EAX™ 1.0, EAX™ 2.0, and I3DL2 compatibility
HW Speaker Equalization
S/PDIF out for Dolby Digital AC-3 & Mini Disc (MD) Support

at "Circuit City", $20 after $20 rebate.

(Actually, I think you'll find EAX support common, just not for EAX 3.0).

Reply 23 of 35, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Vlad,

You ever come across a MT-32 emulator for the Gravis UltraSound called Mega-Em? (Created by Gravis)

Would it be helpful?

Probably not, and I think I've asked this before, but I thought I'd ask. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 24 of 35, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No use, same old trick as emulating MT-32 on a Soundblaster using soundfonts, which means evefrything is relatively OK as long as the game uses standard sounds, but let me assure you, 90% of the MT-32 (and no GM option) games that I have use custom sounds. 😀

V.

Reply 26 of 35, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

So then, how long 'till your emulator is done? 😉

Hmmm, I'm afraid you'll need an infinite improbability drive to find *that* one out. 😉

V.

Reply 27 of 35, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I have to, I will come over to your house, force you to drink Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters until you fall into a coma, and then in that coma stick a keyboard under your hands and force you to code. Trust me. I'll do it.

Besides, the way you seem to rejuvinate this thread every time it starts to fade away makes me think you've got SOMETHING.

The friend of mine I told you about that could [have?] help[ed?] with the analyser dealie is having some serious problems right now (eg. he has two lumps between his skin and his skull. Not cancerous, but causes majorly bad headaches. Like, worse than migraines, and constant. Go Vikaden! 😁) I haven't brought it up recently, anyway, since this HAS kind-of faded into the background.

I mean, geeze, Vlad... if you aren't working on VDMS, and you're not working on MT-32, and you're not working on SPEEDSET or MOUSESET, what the hell are you doing? Some uberl33t s33kr3t pR0j3k7?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 28 of 35, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I hope he and Sauro are working on added the nonimplemented MSCDEX calls to SAPUCDEX, but that's just me... 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 29 of 35, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

I mean, geeze, Vlad... if you aren't working on VDMS, and you're not working on MT-32, and you're not working on SPEEDSET or MOUSESET, what the hell are you doing? Some uberl33t s33kr3t pR0j3k7?

It's called "having a job", he-he... 😉

V.

Reply 30 of 35, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vladr wrote:

It's called "having a job", he-he... 😉

Pffft! Tell me you don't have any time to work on this stuff, and I'll say you're either spending too much time with the lady of the house or you're just lazy. 😜

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 31 of 35, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to sleep too. And working in 1h shifts in the evenings is no fun. As for weekends, well, I still have to pull those network cables through the house... Hmmm... 😁

V.