VOGONS

Winevdm

Topic actions

Reply 63 of 100, by crazyc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-03-01, 23:05:

Uninvited is crashing after playing any sound with the latest dev build. Without sound it runs fine.

It doesn't crash for me. Just be sure that in Sound Setup, Windows sound is selected because none of the others will work.

Reply 64 of 100, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazyc wrote on 2020-03-02, 15:36:
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-03-01, 23:05:

Uninvited is crashing after playing any sound with the latest dev build. Without sound it runs fine.

It doesn't crash for me. Just be sure that in Sound Setup, Windows sound is selected because none of the others will work.

Windows sound is selected here too, but otvdm crashes right after the first sound is played.

Reply 66 of 100, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazyc wrote on 2020-03-02, 20:42:

Might help to see a trace. See the instructions at https://github.com/otya128/winevdm/blob/maste … E/bug_report.md .

Posted, with trace and screenshot.

Reply 67 of 100, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NJRoadfan wrote on 2018-07-07, 16:00:

Runs quite a few of the Windows Entertainment Pack games without a problem, including Chip's Challenge (no music though). Some like Jezzball crash and burn pretty good too.

No Midi Driver 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 69 of 100, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have music in Chip's Challenge. However, Winmm.dll is crashing Uninvited, so it might not be related to winevdm. Would it be a possible workaround for this other than running without sound?

Reply 70 of 100, by crazyc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem is the program is crashing before the log is flushed to disk so we can't see what is really happening. If you know how use a win32 debugger a backtrace of the crash would probably be helpful.

Reply 71 of 100, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazyc wrote on 2020-04-17, 13:58:

The problem is the program is crashing before the log is flushed to disk so we can't see what is really happening. If you know how use a win32 debugger a backtrace of the crash would probably be helpful.

Now it gets weird. I downloaded x64dbg which also has a win32 debugger. When it's backtracing, Uninvited doesn't crash with sound enabled. Now I'm confused.
Edit: Turns out it opened more than 1 instances of otvdmw. If I open one instance of it and leave it standing by an .exe and run another with UNINV.EXE, it won't crash.

Reply 72 of 100, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had to do a fresh install of Win7 and now it won't even work that way anymore. Other previously working games kept working fine.

Reply 74 of 100, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to reinstall it too and test it again. The problem is that I don't know how to make a log out of it, at least using the one I found. I thought it would be simpler.

Reply 75 of 100, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazyc wrote on 2020-04-24, 13:23:

Does it crash in the debugger now?

Updated the issue at gihub with x32dbg register attached. It does crash in the debugger on the first run, as it did before too.

Reply 76 of 100, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was just able to install Thor's Hammer registered v1.1 (available here), which I almost gave up hope for because previously I had not been able to run the Win16 installer even in latest Wine under Linux.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 77 of 100, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool project.

So since winevdm uses software CPU emulation to run the 16-code, this should in theory also be able to work on Windows 10 for ARM, right? I wonder if the source code already compiles for that platform out of the box. Time to open an issue for that on the GitHub page, I guess. Even though I don't have any Windows 10 ARM devices (yet 😉).

Reply 78 of 100, by crazyc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It might not work out of the box because there's a little bit of x86/x86-64 specific code in the TEB handling, the changes if needed there would likely be minimal, and in https://github.com/otya128/winevdm/blob/maste … msdos.cpp#L1642, only for MSVC and just a define to force the GCC path there.