VOGONS

First post, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know this may sound like something I would post on the PCem forums but I would like to address this problem I encounter when testing Busytown on Windows 3.1/DOS on PCem and 86box.

So I was testing Busytown on DOS from 1993 on my Windows 3.1/IBM DOS 6.10 on 86box. And for some strange reason the game freezes when I try to do the delivery truck game or any other game on there. I don't know how that happens. Although I did turn the dynamic recomplier off and it works fine. ( Same for PCem.) But the rest of my Windows 3.1 VM can be slow with the recomplier off. So how the heck am I going to keep my Windows 3.1 host computer faster and play my DOS games without freezing?

Although I did realize that this game I tried to play did had to require a 386 speed. So I tried DOSIDLE the mouse worked fast when installing the game when I had the DOSIDLE software enabled on my AUTOEXEC.BAT. And the game started up fine and when I try to pick a minigame in Busytown it still freezes.

So I don't know what to do to remedy this problem.

If I can address this to Sarahwalker who made PCem (Which is the real version of what emulator I mentioned) why this game freezes even if I have DOSIDLE on with the dynamic recomplier on. She would know the problem.
(But I can't because I am banned from the PCem forums, all because I wanted a lego game to work on Windows 9x on that emulator now. Unless I give her or him an apology and say that I have changed and tell her that I am sorry and I can wait and ask her for one more chance.)

If you happen to run into this post please tell me on how I would fix this.

Thank you.

Reply 1 of 7, by Battler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The current dynamic recompiler has plenty of bugs. Sarah is working on a new one which will hopefully work better. But it's going to take a while longer before that's committed.

DOSfan1994 wrote:

If I can address this to Sarahwalker who made PCem (Which is the real version of what emulator I mentioned)

Just because 86Box is a fork of PCem, it doesn't make it any less real. :p

Reply 2 of 7, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Battler wrote:

The current dynamic recompiler has plenty of bugs. Sarah is working on a new one which will hopefully work better. But it's going to take a while longer before that's committed.

DOSFan1994 wrote:

If I can address this to Sarahwalker who made PCem (Which is the real version of what emulator I mentioned)

Just because 86Box is a fork of PCem, it doesn't make it any less real. :p

She was working on it since 2015 or 2016. I mean it’s be like 3 or 2 years now. So there might be some improved progress so far for PCem.

Reply 4 of 7, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Battler wrote:

No, she started working on the *new* dynamic recompiler this year. She clearly said so.

Call me crazy for asking this but. I know this is worth the wait.

Is it going to take like 2 years or months for this thing to be fix.

Reply 7 of 7, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Battler wrote:

She said PCem v15 (current stable is v14) is going to have the new recompile already, so it's most likely a matter of months before it's done, not years.

Ok maybe sometime during the holiday season.