VOGONS

First post, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I notice that when installing Jazz Jackrabbit, as well as running Scandisk(From Windows 95) under MS-DOS, that they don't seem to respond to the normal enter key(in the middle of your keyboard). They only seem to respond to the enter key on the numpad?

Is this an issue with my emulation of the keyboard or 8042(it has hardware translation enabled in it's settings register #0)? Or is software actually supposed to be used this way?

Looking at the keyboard, it generates scancodes in scancode set 2(not E0 prefixed for normal enter, E0 prefixed for keypad enter). The 8042 translation when receiving the scancodes over the emulated input into the output register in turn translates them to 1C(press),9C(release) for the normal enter and E0;1C(press),E0;9C(release) for the keypad enter.

Is this behaviour correct? Or is this an issue with the Jazz Jackrabbit install.exe or scandisk.exe(a CPU problem)?

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 1 of 1, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SCANDISK.EXE as far as I know (at least the MS-DOS 6.22 version) likes to hook INT 16h to filter keyboard input to itself for some weird reason. DOSBox SVN takes shortcuts in some parts that prevent that hook from working properly. This is something I noted years ago with DOSBox-X, some details are fuzzy.

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.