VOGONS

First post, by Battler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I'm working on 86Box's MPU-401 emulation again and I recently fixed it to work like the Windows NT 3.5 driver expects it to. This however, raised a question - what mode does the Sound Blaster 16's MPU-401 start in? Intelligent or UART? Based on the driver's source code in the Windows NT 3.5 DDK, it should be starting in intelligent mode, using the sound card's IRQ, with the MPU-401's IRQ state reflected in bit 2 of the SB16's (CT1745's) IRQ source register. But this contradicts both the DOSBox code which has an option to start in UART mode, and the common claim that the Sound Blaster 16's MPU-401 does not have intelligent mode. So I wonder what the Sound Blaster 16's MPU-401 actually does.

Reply 1 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can always try with am MT-32 or similar external device that requires intelligent mode to function properly in software that requires intelligent mode for the MT-32 or similar to work properly.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 4, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SB16's MPU starts in a minimal semblance of intelligent mode, in which the MPU passes no data, and responds to only two MPU commands - 0x3F: Enter UART mode, and 0xFF: Reset.