VOGONS

Win@

Topic actions

First post, by Bastard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

win-at.com

This site has been up for almost a year now. No updates at all.
Is it a joke? Do any of you people know anything about this?

Reply 2 of 4, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, i would not wonder if they gave up after seeing the progress of DOSBOX. I have already seen a development of another emulator stopped some time ago (the guy did it as a shareware for 10$, the last version was able to run just a few *very* ancient games - generally it was not very usefull for anything - I wonder whether anybody ever paid him 10$ for it - DOSBOX was better even then in everything apart from built-in GUI).
Any competing emulator will be compared with DOSBOX (which is a real challenge). And it is definitely not easy to write a well working DOS emulator which would run "normal" games (not just a few simple programs from 1984 or 1985).

Saying that, I think it would be good to have some real competition (Virtual PC, Bochs, VMWare etc. are not targetting games - so I do not count them as competition), but I think it would require a lot of determination, effort and time on the side of authors.
At the moment I do not see any other such project...

Mirek

Reply 3 of 4, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Indeed there is not other such project. I've played old dos games since i got my first 486 back in 1994, and since pentium era came, i suffered to death trying to get those old games running, and now with DosBox, i just feel like playing these games again. It's the best thing that happened in the last years.

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 4 of 4, by ribbon13

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I ever won the lotto or became independantly wealthy I would pay for the development of an SBC just for running old games.

Don't you think it would be to plug something like this into your machine and bam! game away!
http://www.interlogicindustries.com/SBCs/a4xdev.htm