VOGONS

First post, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the size of the error code that's pushed during x86 exceptions? Is it simply determined by the interrupt gate size? What about interrupt exceptions triggering task switches(using a task gate)? Does that result in a 32-bit error code or 16-bit error code being pushed on the stack?

UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows and PSP on itch.io
Older UniPCemu PC/Android/PSP releases

Reply 1 of 2, by Stenzek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In my emulator I have it pushing the size corresponding to the gate type (same with the flags/CS:IP). Task switches depend on whether the incoming task is 32-bit or 16-bit. The Intel manuals cover the specifics in some detail if you look at the INT/INTO instruction.

Reply 2 of 2, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK. That means at least that is implemented correctly in UniPCemu. There's still a bug somewhere(causing crashes in 32-bit Windows and Linux), but I can't find it (yet). The weird thing is that everything seems to work as is documented, but they still crash(on invalid descriptors, or invalid pointers(wrong segment loaded/stored into memory). In the case of Linux it's even worse: it's jumping to user space from kernel space, but the kernel descriptors only allow EIP in the range of 0-512MB(limit of 1GB, with it's base at 3GB, so the Linux kernel pretending to be an user-space program in kernel space with kernel privileges?).

UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows and PSP on itch.io
Older UniPCemu PC/Android/PSP releases