VOGONS

nVidia VS ATI...

Topic actions

First post, by yanker2112

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Vogons,

I'm looking to replace my 16 Mb. 3Dfx Voodoo 3 2000 AGP graphics card. I'm interested in a card that supports DirectX 9.0c and T & L. Some video controls similar to 3Dfx Tools would be nice as well. I'm not sure if I should get an nVidia card or go with an ATI.

I can get an XFX GEFORCE FX 5200 (AGP 8X, 256 Mb., etc.) for under $100 (USD). The reason that I'm asking, is because I'm a little confused about: AGP, 2X AGP, 4X AGP, 8X AGP. As far as I know, I have a plain AGP slot on my mobo. (BIOSTAR M6TZA, w/ PENTIUM III 450 MMX).

However, it is an 8X AGP card. Is the interface speed critical when installing this card in a AGP slot? 😕

Reply 1 of 23, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

A fast AGP card will automatically downgrade to whatever speed the AGP-slot supports, so that is not a problem. There might be a problem with voltages though... As far as I know they changed the voltage the card uses a long time ago - perhaps with 2X, or 4X ?. The people making the changes where wise enought to also alter the slot - SLIGHTLY - by adding a little tab or something. In theory, a newer (higher voltage) card should NOT be able to go into an old slot, but not all cards/slot came with the required tabs/notches.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why upgrade? Although you will get a significant improvement over your Voodoo card you still will be severly processor limited. No sense wasting money on a graphics card when you should also be planning on a new computer too....

What types of games will you be playing that you think a new card will help you out? Quake engine games?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 23, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Buying a new graphic card for PENTIUM III 450 MMX is a wasting of money...
If you need something more compatible than VOODOO 3 (which is of course no longer supported officially), I would recommend you to buy some old GFORCE 2MX or something similar.
You will not be able to use DirectX 9 games anyway because of really slow processor.

mirek

Reply 5 of 23, by yanker2112

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found in other VOGONS forum:

Processor speed doesn't matter that much. Most commands will be routed to the video card, not the CPU. Besides, when you do upgrade, you can go with the cheapest, crappiest (or "none" if you've got the option) card they've got and then swap this one in.

LINK:

Pc-game Dark Side Of The Moon

I am confused. I was under the impression that most games are played through the graphics card RAM, not the CPU. Can you explain?

Game not working: CONSPIRACIES...requires 64 Mb. vid board, and T & L.

😕 😕 😕 😕 😕 :confused

Reply 6 of 23, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the commands are processed by the GPU (graphics processor unit) but main CPU has to have enough speed to pump all the data to GPU + all the other stuff it's doing - sound, AI, input supoort...Besides not everything is processed on the GPU, in directx7 some of the geometry work was still done by the main CPU. Also, depending on your AGP slot configuration some newer cards will probably not fit (also see here http://www.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html ). I'd say gf2mx has more than enough speed (it also has T&L, full dx7 specifications) and it's at least 3 times faster than v3 2000. You can probably get one for $10-$20.

Reply 7 of 23, by yanker2112

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd say gf2mx has more than enough speed (it also has T&L, full dx7 specifications) and it's at least 3 times faster than v3 2000. You can probably get one for $10-$20.

How about support for DirectX 9?

Uh, I thought the MX cards were duds; no graphics controls, ie: 3Dfx tools, etc.

Might I be better off with a Ti200 card or perhaps an ATI 9200? I dunno. Guess I'll have to shop around. In either case, should I be concerned with power supply output? This seems to be the primary concern, along with whether or not a new card will actually fit in the AGP slot. 😲

Reply 9 of 23, by yanker2112

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

VOGONS, Ran EVERQUEST,

Here's a look at what's inside:

CPU: Intel Pentium III 450 Mhz. MMX
Motherboard: Biostar M6TZA
Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440ZX

North Bridge Properties:

North Bridge Intel 82443ZX
Revision / Stepping 03 / C1
Package Type 492 Pin BGA
Package Size 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm
Core Voltage 3.3 V

South Bridge Properties:

South Bridge Intel 82371EB PIIX4E
Revision / Stepping 02 / A0
Package Type 324 Pin mBGA
Package Size 2.7 cm x 2.7 cm
Core Voltage 3.3 V

Memory Slots:

DRAM Slot #1 128 MB (SDRAM)
DRAM Slot #2 256 MB (SDRAM)

AGP Properties:

AGP Version 1.00
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64 MB
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x
Current AGP Speed 2x
Fast-Write Not Supported
Side Band Addressing Supported, Enabled

GRAPHICS CARD

16 Mb. 3Dfx Voodoo 3 2000 AGP w/ AMIGASPORT 3.0 drivers (for XP)

Any help? Hello? Can you hear me now?

Reply 10 of 23, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why do you need DX9 support? Wanna to play doom3 on p3-450 😁 (infact...i'm pretty sure even doom3 works with dx8 path). gf2mx cards have the same drivers as the current NVidia cards, so you get the same tools. As previously mentioned, the main problem is the AGP slot configuration...I know all the ati r92xx cards are just repacked agp 8x r90xx cards - so there's little chanche they'll work. Ti200 is a posibility. But then again if you have a couple of hundred $$ to spend I'd rather look into some lowcost sempron upgrade along with a new graphics card rather than spending it all on the graphics cards because it will not do you any good anyway...

Reply 11 of 23, by yanker2112

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding with this thread.

I am not looking to spend alot of cash on a new card. My intention is to spend less than $100 US for a replacement for the Voodoo 3 card. After all, the Voodoo 3 has only 16 Mb. of RAM, which of course, is basically crapola for a vid card.

Any card with at least 64 Mb. of RAM should be an improvement! I don't play shooter games, or anything that requires intense graphics. I'm an adventure gamer, therefore, I don't require the latest and greatest card on the market. (They're all overpriced anyway!)

The bummer of this whole deal is that many games require a 32 Mb. or better card, (and T & L). I agree, most games will play with DirectX 8, so again, Directx 9 is overkill. I was just looking to see if I could get a good deal on a card that I might be able to use at a later date.

In time, if money permits, I have every intention of upgrading my entire box. Then, I'll dump a wad of cash!!

Reply 12 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AGP 1.0 runs at 3.3v so check out that link that was posted earlier or 3.3v compatible cards: http://www.ati.com/support/faq/agpchart.html

The thing is....I don't know if I'd trust that old AGP slot to provide enough juice....not to mention proper AGP driver support. You'd probably be better off with a PCI version.

I installed a Geforce FX 5200 in my parent's Compaq K63-400 on a Via mobo and it's running fine. IIRC, it gets like 500 3dmarks in 3dmark 2003. 😉

Quake 3 is playable at 1024 (or was it 800x600?) at around 30fps, but I have to turn off some quality settings for smoother performance.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 23, by stew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If your thinking of using Linux passed experience has shown that drivers for nVidia (Geforece series) cards are easier to install. Also, its worth taking into consideration that the AGP slot is being replaced with PCI express on newer PCs and I'd wait a few months for the technology to mature before rushing out and getting a new PC-that and the advent of 64 bit, dual processor chips from Intel and AMD. Its a tricky problem the old Geforce III cards are the best bet if you only want DirectX 8 compatibility or even the old Radeon 8500 AIW can now be obtained cheaply. For your info I have a Radeon 9700 AIW and I also use an nVidia Quadro FX1100 at work which is sweet for 3D applications and Open GL games. If you interested in 3D work on a budget try and find a second-hand nVidia Quadro 900 or 980) which only require a singl AGP slot.

Reply 15 of 23, by stew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If your thinking of using Linux passed experience has shown that drivers for nVidia (Geforece series) cards are easier to install. Also, its worth taking into consideration that the AGP slot is being replaced with PCI express on newer PCs and I'd wait a few months for the technology to mature before rushing out and getting a new PC-that and the advent of 64 bit, dual processor chips from Intel and AMD. Its a tricky problem the old Geforce III cards are the best bet if you only want DirectX 8 compatibility or even the old Radeon 8500 AIW can now be obtained cheaply. For your info I have a Radeon 9700 AIW and I also use an nVidia Quadro FX1100 at work which is sweet for 3D applications and Open GL games. If you interested in 3D work on a budget try and find a second-hand nVidia Quadro 900 or 980) which only require a singl AGP slot.

Reply 17 of 23, by yanker2112

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Uh, can anybody tell me anything about the Chaintech Volari V3? It has been suggested that I go with the V3 instead of the Ti 4200.

Anybody out there?? 😕