VOGONS

First post, by drsly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hope someone here knows how to get this to work. This is my first time trying this emulator.

I would like to get a 386 machine to boot a standard MSDOS 6.22 1.44Mb floppy image.

Right now all I see, after the message flashed to press select for the settings, is a blank window with a tiny menu in the bottom right hand corner.

Besides that, I can navigate the menu and change options, which I can see are saved in SETTINGS.INI file.

The only clue I have was in the log file, there was a few hundred lines saying something along the lines of "nothing to do" - the log has since been deleted and atm the program won't even create one...

What's the minimum setup needed to POST? Apart from adjusting the config for execution mode and architecture, and disk options, what else is there to configure? I tried deleting the SETTINGS.INI file and loading defaults, but that didn't work. I noticed after doing this that the execution mode was set to load from the rom directory, changing it to "Use emulator internal BIOS" didn't help.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit). Msys2/mingw32 build environment. Latest commit commit a4322090dd57253e3fc104940e1377420cf98ff2
Build command: make win build SDL2 mingw32

Under the buid output directory, I created folders for "disks", "logs", "music", "rom" & "soundfonts". I've copied 2x dll files: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll and libwinpthread-1.dll (SDL2.dll was already copied during the build process).

I'm stuck for ideas. Help pls?

Reply 1 of 1, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When the yellow text is displayed in the top-left, you press Select (Backspace on the keyboard when not in Direct input mode) to enter the full settings menu. This menu will display in the top-left corner of the window (what you're seeing in the bottom right is the OSK combined with a few buttons(Set(tings menu; for runtime settings adjustment. Pressing Select(Backspace) when in a non-Direct Input mode does the same), Sti(cky keys; Makes left Ctrl/Alt/Shift sticky in the OSK), Cap(ture; For screen captures of the next rendered frame). The bottom right 3x2 characters(displaying N(um lock LED), C(aps lock LED), S(croll Lock LED), and the input mode(M/K(both for PSP input style), D(irect input) or G(aming mode)) are a hidden button which display/hide the OSK when clicked on. These simulate keypresses from the keyboard in the current input mode (the same effect as pressing the keys on the keyboard). They're basically the same as the Windows OSK, but with a full keyboard layout(en/us keyboard).

Select is mapped to Backspace on the PC. When you press Select while the yellow text is visible, you'll enter the pre-boot settings menu. You can also click the yellow text itself(it's a button). After the yellow text disappears, emulation is started and various settings in the settings menu will become read-only due to changing those settings can't be done on a running system(e.g. hard disks, emulated hardware being enabled or not, ROM settings).

If you're getting a log of U-roms not being found(U13 and U15 on Compaq Deskpro 386 (with PS/2) architecture), that means that the emulator can't find the ROMS in the filenames it's searching for. It supports the following ROMs in Compaq Deskpro 386 (with PS/2 too, although adding support for the PS/2 ROM on top of the lower ranked ones; below applying to the default BIOS ROM (loading) mode):
1. Highest priority: BIOSROM.BIN(full 16/32-bit ROM to load always).
- Compaq ROMS(for 80386 and up):
2. BIOSROM.PS2.BIN(PS/2 extension only).
3. BIOSROM.32.BIN
4. Lowest priority: BIOSROM.U13.BIN and BIOSROM.U15.BIN (Compaq Deskpro 386 ROMs themselves)

If you're getting the messages "Failed loading BIOS ROM u13, reverting to AT ROMs!" or "Failed loading BIOS ROM u15, reverting to AT ROMs!", that means that it cannot find the U13/U15 ROMs for the Compaq Deskpro 386 archirecture and is reverting to the AT ROMs for compatibility (BIOSROM.PS2.BIN, BIOSROM.AT.BIN, U27/U47 ROMs).

Have you named the ROMs correctly in the ROM folder? The .BIN part of the filenames above is the exact extension. All filenames are in uppercase, which on non-Windows systems means case-issues, but since you're using Windows that shouldn't be the issue. What are the full filenames(including extensions) of the files in your ROM subdirectory?

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io