VOGONS

First post, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are there any CPU(with or without hardware as well) test suites for Windows 95 RTM(higher OSes and NT still can't boot)?

So far I'm using CheckIt Pro 4, but it'll hang on e.g. WFW 3.11 on the Bus check step(doing corect instructions as far as i can see) during the 'collect' step?

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 2 of 6, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not quite. I'm trying to find some CPU diagnostic software(and perhaps hardware too, if included) for Windows 95 RTM(in other words, that will run inside Windows 95 RTM without issues, not requiring newer windows versions etc.). The issue is currently that all newer versions than 95 RTM all fail booting, so can't be used(so that's Windows 95 "B"(OSR 2), "C" (OSR 2.5), all newer versions of Windows(98, ME) as well as any NT versions(not even NT 3.1 boots successfully(NT 3.1 actually 'boots', but reports during setup that the hardware has been changed and to start setup again)). The only ones that somewhat run (depending on 32-bit software or not) are Windows 3.x and below(with slight issues with some software hanging) and 95 RTM(which is stable, but some programs close without warning or any message, e.g. Windows Media Player when playing any AVI video file).

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 5 of 6, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tried WinTune 95. It seems to run without visible issue. Can't find any reports within it, though. Switched to the reports tab after generating some, with the "CPU bugs" category, nothing was listed(it's row is empty).

Sisoft Sandra 99, however, displays it's loading screen, before crashing in module 'MFC42.DLL at 137:5f404ffc"? That's on a GRP5 far call using an invalid modr/m(NULL) pointer(in EAX)?

1-Sandra 99 crashing inside UniPCemu Win95 RTM.jpg
Filename
1-Sandra 99 crashing inside UniPCemu Win95 RTM.jpg
File size
141.62 KiB
Views
File comment
Sandra 95 crashed inside UniPCemu running Windows 95 RTM.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 6 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I could be wrong, but I remember that MFC42.DLL used to be troublesome - too many versions of it existed, with varying functions/features.
Perhaps it helps replacing the DLL by a new/older one or checking if the program in question has got a local copy of it in his application folder.
if so, the multiple versions of MFC42.DLL could cause what once was being refered to as "DLL Hell".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLL_Hell

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//