Rank

http://www.sapphiretech.com/broschure/9550.pdf
point that file out to them... it states 3.3v

however.. looking at the card photo
and the ati compatiblity faq
it seems that they may be right...

9200 with 128mb/128bit bus $93
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp … -102-287&depa=0

it seems the 9550 is a 9600 downclocked, so your outta luck. That 9200 there will work for sure... but its really not worth the cash. If you would have upgraded 6 months ago when 9700s were still available, it would have been easier...

I'd say save $312, and get the mb/ram/cpu upgrade i suggested earlier first. then you won't have to worry about any of it.

Reply 21 of 37, by ribbon13

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Snover...

Due to the way labor laws work, I am salaried and work about 96 hours a week, I'm 23 and already have a few gray hairs. Sure I have a quad opteron workstation thats all mine, but I don't ever have time to enjoy it. I spend about 6 hours a day debugging, and 6 about hours in max/maya for content creation. I haven't seen my house in over 3 months, sleep at the office, take mail at the office, even get chinese take out delivered to my office. My slack time to recoup is usually spent haunting forums and playing a short while in dosbox. I'm hoping the SSD raid will give me enough time so that I can maybe get 5 hours of sleep instead of 4... Still envious?

I'm not alone...
If you haven't read this, you should.
http://www.the-underdogs.org/scratch.php

Reply 22 of 37, by yanker2112

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ribbon13,

SAPPHIRE sent this to me after I sent the brochure to them!

This card supports 2x agp so it supports 3.3v as well. […]
Show full quote

This card supports 2x agp so it supports 3.3v as well.

Tech

Sapphire Technology
Tech Support Center

What a bunch of twits! Does anybody in tech support have a clue? WTF?

I'll bet if I sent them a '63 'Vette, they would probably send it to the junk yard. Flamin' idiots!!!!

Reply 24 of 37, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yanker2112 they are 100% correct. Cut it the hell out.

EDIT: I believe they meant to be speaking about your mainboard. (or maybe not, depending on what your question was.)

Last edited by Snover on 2004-12-12, 05:34. Edited 2 times in total.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 25 of 37, by ribbon13

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since the fox is chewing on some E, i wonder if he's high?

Nothing like 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine to give a fox his daily inspiration. :p

When I'm done with the next three models, I think I'll post a screenshot. Some of you might like it given it's inspiration...

Go back to the mid nineties and think Steven Barcia.

Can't say more...

Reply 26 of 37, by yanker2112

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What do you mean by this?

and then, this:

EDIT: I believe they meant to be speaking about your mainboard. (or maybe not, depending on what your question was.)

What the hell do you mean by this post?

Your just as bad as tech support. Speakee the English! WTF! Your ignorance is supercede only by your arrogance.

I was under the impression that the VOGONS forums were just that; a place to discuss and exchange information; not a forum for persons like you to denegrate and belittle fellow members' inexperience and newbyism. Geez, you might think that you were God! 😜

Get a life, dude! What a waste of knowledge when all that you can do is offer snippy little quips, instead of sharing intelligent, useful information. What's the matter, did mommy take away all of your toys? Man, what a power-tripper!

P.S. How are those MAXTOR Hard Drives comin' along?

Reply 28 of 37, by yanker2112

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

el_,

You funny guy, too! 😀

A few of Snover's useless little quips for your review:

yanker2112, if you'd just listen to me from the start, you would have saved ribbon13 from doing your dirty work. >.>

...And these are only from ONE thread!

And you call this civil?

Reply 29 of 37, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dude, calm down. All you can expect to accomplish by starting a yelling match with admins/moderators is to get banned.

As a veteran of the BBS era, I've found that when someone on a message board rubs me the wrong way, I can choose to either try to get over being pissed off at a person, ignore/avoid them, or stop hanging out on that forum. Trash-talking someone or trying to get them to apologize and/or admit they're wrong never goes over well, especially when you start targeting admins.

Note that I'm not defending anything Snover said to piss you off - I'm just giving you some advice about how to deal with the situation before it gets out of hand (which is where you seem to be steering it).

Reply 30 of 37, by ribbon13

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey admin, Fuck you!!!

*person gets banned, a makes another account*

Whine, whine, whine, why did i get banned, whine whine whine....

*person gets there IP banned, goes to a friends house, makes another account*

Whine, whine, whine, why did i get banned, whine whine whine....

Has anyone ever been to a forum where this doesn't ever happen? 😜

I guess we should just consider ourselves lucky. At least we don't have yahoo chat level of intelligence, or slashdot level of trollism.

Reply 31 of 37, by yanker2112

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, This isn't an argument, but a rebuttle to Snover's obnoxious remarks.

As an adminstrator, Snover should be patient and open-minded with the membership. People look to the adminstrators for help and guidance. Offering more detail in his explanations, and being more specific in his responses will go a long way in helping the membership. Cheap shots don't help anybody, even if you are an administrator.

I started this thread with a valid question that I had hoped would lead to a constructive discussion of the topic. I had hoped that the membership would offer pertinent, useful information, that's all. We've all been in many other forums were there are enough a-holes to fill a blimp. Thankfully, this forum is not one of them.

Perhaps the senior members of the forum could be a bit more patient with us newbies and not so quick to criticize. This isn't the first thread in this forum where mods and admins have been a bit impertinent.

For my part, I will tone down my rhetoric. This is not the place for a bitchfest. Hopefully, Snover will do the same.

If Snover chooses to 'ban' me, so be it. There's not a damned thing that I can do about. I always felt that if you can dish it out, you better be able to take it. I make no apologies for that.

Meanwhile, I appreciate all of the effort and research by the members who have contributed to this thread, and others that I have posted in the past.

As for the vid card, I've been busy searching e-bay and other sites for a cheap 32 Mb. card that will work in box.

Carry on, I have wiped myself! 😀

Last edited by yanker2112 on 2004-12-13, 04:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32 of 37, by ribbon13

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wasn't implying that you were heading for a banishment, I was saying you're not that bad at all comparatively actually...

My god... here.... buy it or wait until you can buy a core upgrade.
PowerColor Radeon 9250 256mb/128-Bit DVI/TV-Out PCI
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp … -131-411&depa=0

Reply 33 of 37, by yanker2112

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Uh, it's a PCI card. Can I really expect any improvement with this card? After all, I'm working with a severly limited CPU, at least when it comes to graphics.

I'm guessin' that you have suggested this card in order to eliminate the AGP situation with my MOBO. ????

Wow, decisions, decisions, decisions. 😀 😀

Basically, I'm looking to go cheap, (like this card), ...We all know that in six months, you won't be able to scrounge a PCI or AGP card, everything will require a PCIe card. CPU'S will be up to double their current speed, RAM will be sold in Gigs., and monitors will fill a small wall!

The thing is, who's got the cash to continually upgrade their stuff. It's getting out of hand, not to mention, expensive. What an addiction! 😀

Thanks,....

Reply 35 of 37, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The very first post of this thread explained that with your mobo/CPU combo that there would be no difference between PCI/AGP.

There really isn't a major difference in speed on the latest and greatest mobo's between PCI/PCIE/AGP. Heck, even on the latest and greatest games I highly doubt you'll see an FPS difference between 4X and 8x AGP. Mabye in synthetic benchmarks....mabye but not in gaming. In your case it's not the interface you need to be concerned with as far as speed. What you need to be concerned about is wether or not is if the 2003/2004 videocard will play nice with your 1999? motherboard AGP slot.....and if Nvidia's/ATI's drivers will play nice with that motherboard.....

PCI/AGP cards will be around for quite some time. Many....MANY people are not rich enthusiasts with barely a brain in their head who buy the latest and greatest. PCIE is being pushed mainly by ATI to get a lead over Nvidia but your barely seeing those cards in retail. It will takes quite some time for the installed based of PCIE to overcome the installed based of PCI/AGP....until that time the market of PCI/AGP cards will still be quite profitable.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 36 of 37, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCI video cards will be around for a while longer, since they are popular for driving multiple monitors. The PCIe motherboards I've seen only have one PCIe slot for a video card, so additional video cards in a system will still have to be regular PCI.

Reply 37 of 37, by ribbon13

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Indeed, even with multi-gpu coming back into the mainstream 1 16 lane PCIe slot is all thats needed. nVidia has SLi on patent lock-down, so Multi-GPUs on a single card will be ATIs ace in the hole. Who knows, maybe ATI will take nVidia to the plate on it. I would love to have multi-gpu cards that can be hooked up to each other... Crosshair style even with 2 2-gpu cards with SLi, each gpu does a quarter of the screen =D. 1600x1200 16xFSAA at 120fps. Ah that would kick ass.

That PCI card will not even come close to maxing out a PCI2.2 bus (566mb/s peak transfer). If you're so fucking worried about performance, buy the CPU/MB/RAM upgrade I listed for you earlier. For $140 you can get a Radeon 9800, which is emminently more powerful... so why not just wait until you can get a decent rig?

Hell... mega cheap..
Asus A7N8X-X $65
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp … -131-468&depa=0
AMD Sempron 2400 $63
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp … -104-210&depa=0
Corsair CMX256A-2700C2PT $62
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp … -145-410&depa=0

There.... For one hundred ninety dollars US you get an upgrade that would be far far more useful.

So there you go..
Buy that PCI card, or shut up, save up, and don't be so cheap.