VOGONS

Reply 20 of 21, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was having a LOT of problems trying to get some games in higher resolutions or windowed mode within Windows 98 or 2000.

Then I decided to kill these machines and run a modified Windows XP Pro 32-bit to look like Windows 2000, thanks to the Inexperience Patcher. Now it looks almost like the old thing. I just sad I had to kill Windows 98... But to be honest, browsing was terrible, Championship Manager games refused to run windowed, FIFA 9x refused to run higher resolutions and with nGlide (now it does in new machine).

Now I am stuck with Windows 3.11 For Workgroups, Windows "2002" Professional (XP + Inexperience Patcher), and Windows 10 Professional. Next week I will try another operating system (any old macOS or newer linux to get prepared for the jump if Apple really is going all in with the stupid ARM Macs).

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.

Reply 21 of 21, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been trying to use Scitech Display Doctor 7 instead of the provided VMware SVGA II driver with my Win 98SE VM, and I ended up annoyed.

The software and drivers installs OK, I can even use my desired resolution (1280x720 or even 1920x1080) but when I shutdown the machine, VMware throws an error (actually, it's Windows 98 who is doing that; VMware is just reporting it) about an unspecified problem (I suspect its the new drivers) and tells me to reboot the machine or either force shutdown. When I uninstall the software and the driver, all is OK now. I am simply baffled.

The driver runs fine for VirtualBox users. They just have to change the cpu id to something like an i5 and it's fixed. But I can't figure out how to do it with VMware Fusion - or if it even does that.

Another strange thing is when I install it. After install, system information on Windows 98 reports it's a Pentium II. After installing VMware guest tools, Windows 98 sees an Intel i7 4th gen, the real cpu I have on my MBP. Seriously, how the f*** is that possible?

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.