VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was having a LOT of problems trying to get some games in higher resolutions or windowed mode within Windows 98 or 2000.

Then I decided to kill these machines and run a modified Windows XP Pro 32-bit to look like Windows 2000, thanks to the Inexperience Patcher. Now it looks almost like the old thing. I just sad I had to kill Windows 98... But to be honest, browsing was terrible, Championship Manager games refused to run windowed, FIFA 9x refused to run higher resolutions and with nGlide (now it does in new machine).

Now I am stuck with Windows 3.11 For Workgroups, Windows "2002" Professional (XP + Inexperience Patcher), and Windows 10 Professional. Next week I will try another operating system (any old macOS or newer linux to get prepared for the jump if Apple really is going all in with the stupid ARM Macs).

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.

Reply 21 of 29, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been trying to use Scitech Display Doctor 7 instead of the provided VMware SVGA II driver with my Win 98SE VM, and I ended up annoyed.

The software and drivers installs OK, I can even use my desired resolution (1280x720 or even 1920x1080) but when I shutdown the machine, VMware throws an error (actually, it's Windows 98 who is doing that; VMware is just reporting it) about an unspecified problem (I suspect its the new drivers) and tells me to reboot the machine or either force shutdown. When I uninstall the software and the driver, all is OK now. I am simply baffled.

The driver runs fine for VirtualBox users. They just have to change the cpu id to something like an i5 and it's fixed. But I can't figure out how to do it with VMware Fusion - or if it even does that.

Another strange thing is when I install it. After install, system information on Windows 98 reports it's a Pentium II. After installing VMware guest tools, Windows 98 sees an Intel i7 4th gen, the real cpu I have on my MBP. Seriously, how the f*** is that possible?

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 22 of 29, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I needed to install a Windows 10 VM for 2 games anyway, Grand Prix 4 and NASCAR Racing 2003. I downloaded 2004 (20H1) build and proceeded to create the VM.

To my surprise, even though I am still disappointed with modern Windows, I was able to uninstall a lot of bloatware, default apps, reduce or disable completely the telemetry & data collection. Also customized its looks a bit with tweaks to resemble a little bit some 9x desktop. I can now survive in a such terrible environment that is Win 10...

The VM now sits at a whooping 13.2GB, even after running CompactOS command and SDelete to reduce the VM size. Chances are it will be bigger when I install more GP4 mods.

And my other two VMs are happily smaller: MS-DOS 6.22/Windows For Workgroups 3.11 working great, with only 1.3GB used, all bells & whistles working.

I got tired of trying to build a good Windows 9x VM, so I got Windows XP Pro x32 and used Inexperience Patcher + some customization to achieve near perfect Windows 2000 look alike; that VM now runs my mid to late 90's games, using only 9.7GB. I downloaded a lite version of XP to try out; I might be able to make an even more smaller VM. I found a way to make file explorer web view look like Win 98; but it only works for one folder at a time, I can't set it as default for others. Sad. I might just make it look like 95 explorer, empty.

As much as I love DOSBOX-X, even with a lot of improvements to run Win 9x, all my attempts to build a rock solid Win 9x VM there failed miserably. Hence why I returned to VMware.

Meanwhile, the iPad Pro running UTM to virtualize another DOS/Win3x machine is pretty good - the developer has said that he will look after enabling sound. I have a Win 98SE VM lurking there, but frankly if I cannot improve the speed for games like FIFA 98, I have only three options: Try Windows 95; Buy a newer iPad Pro (no way, no money) or find some way to tweak it for more performance.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 23 of 29, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SUCCESS: Fifa 98 Road To World Cup on big screen, wide 40” Samsung. Windows XP Pro SP3 on VMware used for the job. I won the game, obviously.

Attachments

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 24 of 29, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right, all my VM's are working wonderfully. Now, anyone know how I can use a Logitech G27 for Grand Prix 3 on VMware for Win XP VM at least? I know it should work for Grand Prix 4 on Windows 10 VM. I guess I have to do some research tomorrow.

I won't even do the same (stupid) question for Grand Prix 1 and Grand Prix 2 on DOS VM since I know it is completely impossible to use a such modern steering wheel there.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 25 of 29, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been researching about how to run Windows 98 or XP with QEMU on macOS and a decent graphics performance , but I can't find any guide on how to do it with the best possible configuration...

Edit first time attempt with Windows 10. I managed to install, but it's awfully slow.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 26 of 29, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just managed to get XP Pro SP3 32bit running well on my 2nd gen 12.9 inch iPad Pro. Thanks, UTM!

Good video thanks to a generic VBEMP NT driver. I’m using -vga vmware, I could probably have used a VMware SVGA 3D driver, if I had one or if I could get it somewhere.

Attachments

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 27 of 29, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Turns out I can use the QXL driver for XP.

So far Win 98 and Win 3.11 are fantastic on my iPad. Although I do not get 3Dfx nor acceleration for games like FIFA 98, it's pretty good.

Right now, I'm trying to get XP SP3 to the top from updates and Windows 7 too, on both my Mac (QEMU 5.0.0) and iPad Pro (UTM, I presume it uses QEMU 4.2.0 still). Win 7 is lightning fast for some reason.

I've tried Win 10 on my Mac, but it's awfully slow. I have no idea of what changed so much under the hood between Win 7 - Win 8 - Win 10 for this to happen, since Microsoft is still stuck with their backwards compatibility in Win 10.

Anyway, a Win 7 VM if I make it correctly should be sufficient for me. As soon as I get all my VMs stable on QEMU/UTM, and after some good testing, I may finally quit VMware/Parallels "virtualization empire". If this proves to be good enough (and it's for FREE!!) I don't need to buy new VMware products. I'm not that rich to buy all the programs... plus, getting it running on my iPad is a good sign, with the ARM Macs in the horizon coming at the end of the year.

Just to clarify that while I do recognize that VMware and Parallels are far superior solutions, with near native speeds and easier to use. I do not want to pay for a plan, monthly subscription or huge fee to use their products just to be able to play my 80's/90's games.

There is DOSBox too, at least for DOS/Win 3.x games. With some headaches and work, you could get Win 98 SE going in DOSBox too. But my main issue with DOSBox is that while there is a version with NE2000 networking capabilities, getting it to the internet requires something like a Raspberry Pi 3 acting as a MITM to let it connect to the internet. Not useable for me when I'm on the move. I wish there was an patch to use another card, the AMD PC Net card, which is the one used on VMware and QEMU, to let Win 3.11 connect to the internet without a middle man.

Another thing is that I'd rather play it on my iPad than on my Mac. That means, UTM is a superior solution than Litchie's iDOS2 (or DOSPad, whatever is the official name) for the same reasons above. iDOS2 hasn't been updated in the last years to run latest DOSBox SVN version and lacks NE2000/AMDPCnet ethernet card patch to give networking capabilities. It's a shame, because I think iDOS2 would be a very great app with these benefits. If only someone could fork it and add these things...

Anyway, back to Win 7 installation. Should be a quick walk in the park, it's fast.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 28 of 29, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone knows how can I turn two VMware VMs into usable QEMU virtual machines? Apart of converting VMDK to qcow2 or img (which I know how to), but I can't figure out why Windows XP SP3 doesn't boot when I try the QEMU route.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 29 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Likely different storage controller. Mabye see if qemu can support the same model as vmware before doing any of the below.

You can add drivers via dpinst and then do a sysprep or revert back to IDE and then do the conversion or just convert and the copy the needed drivers to the appropriate location and update the registry.

DOSBox Compilation Guides
DosBox Feature Request Thread
PC Game Compatibility List
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Running DRM games offline