VOGONS

Bruninho's Virtual Machines (Windows, Linux, Mac)

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 103, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right, as it stands, everything looks terrible.

@kjliew: Both Debian and Arch Linux cannot compile QEMU with the 3Dfx/Glide patch.

Debian:

bruninho@macbruno:~/myqemu/qemu-3dfx/build$ make 2>&1 | tee build.log
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/bruninho/myqemu/qemu-3dfx/qemu-4.1.1/slirp'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/bruninho/myqemu/qemu-3dfx/qemu-4.1.1/slirp'
LINK i386-softmmu/qemu-system-i386
/usr/bin/ld: hw/mesa/mglcntx_linux.o: undefined reference to symbol 'XFlush'
/usr/bin/ld: //lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [Makefile:209: qemu-system-i386] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:472: i386-softmmu/all] Error 2

Arch:

[bruninho@archbookpro build]$ make 2>&1 | tee build.log
LINK i386-softmmu/qemu-system-i386
/usr/bin/ld: hw/mesa/mglcntx_linux.o: undefined reference to symbol 'XOpenDisplay'
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/libX11.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [Makefile:209: qemu-system-i386] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:472: i386-softmmu/all] Error 2

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.

Reply 101 of 103, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check your config-host.mak in the build folder which was generated by configure script.
I am not sure why your Debian/Arch environment did not include X11 libs. Mine did.
Both XFlush and XOpenDisplay are standard X11 API.

$ grep X11 config-host.mak 
CONFIG_X11=y
X11_CFLAGS=
X11_LIBS=-lX11
SDL_LIBS=-pthread -lSDL2 -lX11

Reply 102 of 103, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kjliew wrote on 2020-09-11, 05:43:
Check your config-host.mak in the build folder which was generated by configure script. I am not sure why your Debian/Arch envir […]
Show full quote

Check your config-host.mak in the build folder which was generated by configure script.
I am not sure why your Debian/Arch environment did not include X11 libs. Mine did.
Both XFlush and XOpenDisplay are standard X11 API.

$ grep X11 config-host.mak 
CONFIG_X11=y
X11_CFLAGS=
X11_LIBS=-lX11
SDL_LIBS=-pthread -lSDL2 -lX11

Both environments returned it okay, so X11 is there. I tried again with a much simpler ./configure with less options - probably the problem was caused by one of them. Now it compiled. I tested them running it with --version to see if it compiled. Returns version v4.1.1, the exact version I compiled for. Yippiee-Kay-Yay, Moth...

I'll probably stick to Debian then, It is easier than Arch to use. Before compiling it I had installed the qemu from apt-get (Debian) and pacman (Arch), but these repositories came with different versions. 3.1.0 for Debian and 5.1.0 for Arch.

Have you updated your files to compile against 5.1.0, by any chance?

EDIT: I compiled the stock QEMU 5.1.0 on Debian and installed it over the 3.1.0, it's working anyway. One problem less, one problem more...

The good thing about VMware VMs is that we always have Snapshots to roll back before any sh*%$*$ happens. Now I'm gonna recompile the i386 version with 3dfx patch. I'll also take notes so I don't forget anything when the day I make it with a Debian ARM64 VM on ARM Mac comes. PCem disappointed with its speed, DOSBox-X still has a few issues to be ironed out but I still think it is the best candidate when its fixed. For now, I'll go with QEMU...

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 103 of 103, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@kjliew: Right, it's compiled and QEMU is working, Debian Linux AMD64 build, and booted a Win 98SE VM I had on UTM/iPad Pro. Now, how do I benefit from the 3DFx/Glide passthrough on my VM?

I have no idea since I have never done it, and I have already ditched DOSBox and PCem as options. Both are too unstable and slow. Only QEMU works but without 3Dfx and just Software Renderer for FIFA games.

JOBS, Steve.