VOGONS

Bruninho's Virtual Machines (Windows, Linux, Mac)

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 122, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
digger wrote on 2020-09-27, 09:54:

As fun and cool as all these approaches are, particularly kjliew's passthrough solution, it does make me wonder if most of these older games don't already run flawlessly under Wine these days. Even if you're not running Linux as your host system, you could run Wine in a 3D-accelerated Linux guest VM and play most of those games in there, right? Even Glide wappers could work inside such a solution. It would also save you from having to install an older Windows version.

Or am I mistaken in the number of older Windows games that work flawlessly on Wine these days?

You are absolutely correct a vast majority of these games do run fine with vanilla wine with either nglide or dgvoodoo. Much easier

Reply 121 of 122, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

except I do not want to run wine or any glide stuff. I want to make VMs not only for games but for the fun and nostalgia

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.

Reply 122 of 122, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/27/develope … -windows-on-m1/

This news is exactly what I was expecting to be what I needed to be convinced that the M1 Macs are superb and I will be getting one or waiting for an optimized M2 in 2021. This will be huge for my VMs personal projects, fun and nostalgia.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.