VOGONS

First post, by Yttrical

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I recently purchased a Sound Blaster 16 PCI card off Ebay Since I have no ISA ports on my motherboard. I've got the drivers installed and the Card's working fine in Windows XP. I can even get some games like Sam & Max working without using VMDSound. But Windows XP is setting my IRQ to 19 and I have no idea what my DMA or my I/O are, and the Diagnostic programs I've downloaded from Creative can't seem to find my card's I/O. I'm not new to working with DOS games, but I'm a complete infant when it comes to understanding Sound Card setup and legacy DOS systems. Never the less I think this should be completely do-able. If anyone could help me get this to work that'd be greatly appreciated and I'm sure it'd sophisticate your forum. If I'm being a complete idiot and I've missed a post that fully explains this please direct me, or tell me why this just won't work.

I'll be eagerly awaiting a response =]

I'm sorry. You have violated robot's rules of order and will be asked to leave the future immediantly.

Reply 1 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*** THREAD MOVED ***

If Sam & Max is working, does it report SB settings?

Another idea is to enter bios and change the plug and play aware OS to NO or DISABLED. I know having this setting enabled will make some sound cards to choose odd Port, DMA and IRQ settings. There are also some settings in bios to manually redirect IRQs, but i do not advise tinkering with them right now. Just try the plug & play aware os setting first.
Also, enable UPDATE ESCD in bios. Save changes and reboot.

Reply 2 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmm - would it not be less intrusive to go My Computer -> Properties -> Manage -> Device Manager -> Sound Controllers -> SoundBlaster -> Properties -> Resources and uncheck 'Use automatic settings' -> Click 'Change Settings' and manually set the IRQ's, etc?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sigh. I thought that FINALLY after four full years of XP being mainstream this dead horse would have been beaten for the last time. Apparently not.
There is no DOS in XP. There is a Virtual DOS Machine, NTVDM. The Virtual DOS Machine emulates a Sound Blaster Pro. Having an actual SB16 is completely irrelevant to NTVDM, because it is an EMULATOR. That is why VDMSound exists -- it EMULATES A SOUND CARD. The reason S&M worked was because it found XP's poor SBPro emulation which is default in the XP NTVDM. The actual sound card never ever EVER matters.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hahha, I didn't see he was running XP.

If you don't know DOS, I don't think you want to try to learn it. Growing up on XP isn't gonna prepare you for DOS whatsoever.... 😀 Getting DOS up and running with PCs designed around it was hard enough. Using modern hardware it will be even harder. You'd want to have a seriously adept DOS buddy to guide you through it if you really want to mess with it.

I'd get DOSBOX and go from there. Don't bother with a SB16 in XP either. Use a newer card, such as a SBLive or newer.

Reply 7 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Under Windows XP, sound card type doesn't really matter. What matters is that its drivers will be updated and that the card is working properly...
Mind you, the same ntvdm (NT Virtual Dos Machine), the part of windows NT systems that "emulate" a spartan ms-dos, doesn't even care about the physical "real" sound card installed. It just always emulate a sbpro (I think) and the emulation isn't too good either. You can do yourself a favour by using a VDMSound / DOSBox combination. You will get far better results.

P.S.- As a rule of thumb, (under Windows XP) you should always get the sound card that takes most of the burden off the cpu or the one that suits your needs best.