VOGONS

First post, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it even possible to install it on that? I either get a 'cannot find the file "A:\COUNTRY.SYS" (on 2.0) or some message explaining that it cannot use the hard drive or floppy drive (on warp 4).

Anyone knows more about this?

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 1 of 5, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Go for v3. Are both installs all floppy or CD. Can you provide more info about the system you are installing OS/2 on? Hdd size/type, amount of ram etc.

Thread needs to be moved to Marvin.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 5, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-06-14, 03:22:

Go for v3. Are both installs all floppy or CD. Can you provide more info about the system you are installing OS/2 on? Hdd size/type, amount of ram etc.

Both are using the floppy until the point it crashes.
The system is UniPCemu running a Compaq Deskpro 386 with 16MB RAM, ET4000 graphics(1MB VRAM), 2GB HDD with 386 windows 95-compatible XT-IDE BIOS as the second option ROM, Plop boot ROM as the third option ROM(ran with F8 on the XT-IDE BIOS) hooked and a floppy BIOS as the first option ROM(all starting after the ET4000 ROM at 2K aligned addresses).
The emulated FDC is a 82077AA, with two floppy drives each being a 1.44MB drive when unmounted(same with CMOS RAM byte 10h, set to type 4(1.44MB) for both drives). Only the first drive is mounted with OS/2.
No second HDD is mounted on the primary ATA-1 channel.
The secondary ATA-4(ATAPI) channel has 2 CD-ROM drives(ATAPI), with the master being the OS/2 warp 4 CD-ROM, the slave unmounted.
The motherboard has a rev J.4 ROM, with all hardware specified in the Compaq Deskpro 386 technical reference guide(same as AT, with memory bytes mapping at 80c00000h with it's functionality and second PIT with failsafe timer, no FPU and it's I/O ports emulated). All memory holes are fully emulated, all the way up to 4GB(each one shifting it's memory after it to the next area and precious hole's memory, so the 640K-1M to 1M+, 15.4-ROM/remap area(FA0000) before 16M with E0000-FFFFF redirection to after 16MB+(after the previous memory hole's remainder and 3GB-4GB being remapped to 4GB+ with the previous 2 area's remainder, which is currently inaccessable with the 32-bit CPUs(up to Pentium) emulated.

Also, this isn't marvin, as it's still an emulated system(UniPCemu).

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 3 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why are you trying to install v2.0, anyway ? 😀

From what I remember, it was quickly replaced by v2.1,
which had several advancements, such as 32-Bit drivers (via update) and Windows 3.1 as WIn-OS/2.

Also, did you try both MS and IBM OS/2 1.x, already ?
The IBM version used tripple-faulting to re-enter RM , while the MS version was 386-aware.

That being said, emulating OS/2 is tricky.
It also uses the Ring 2 (for graphics drivers etc), if memory serves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2#Virtualization

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 5, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
superfury wrote on 2020-06-14, 09:23:
Both are using the floppy until the point it crashes. The system is UniPCemu running a Compaq Deskpro 386 with 16MB RAM, ET4000 […]
Show full quote
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-06-14, 03:22:

Both are using the floppy until the point it crashes.
The system is UniPCemu running a Compaq Deskpro 386 with 16MB RAM, ET4000 graphics(1MB VRAM), 2GB HDD with 386 windows 95-compatible XT-IDE BIOS as the second option ROM, Plop boot ROM as the third option ROM(ran with F8 on the XT-IDE BIOS) hooked and a floppy BIOS as the first option ROM(all starting after the ET4000 ROM at 2K aligned addresses).
The emulated FDC is a 82077AA, with two floppy drives each being a 1.44MB drive when unmounted(same with CMOS RAM byte 10h, set to type 4(1.44MB) for both drives). Only the first drive is mounted with OS/2.
No second HDD is mounted on the primary ATA-1 channel.
The secondary ATA-4(ATAPI) channel has 2 CD-ROM drives(ATAPI), with the master being the OS/2 warp 4 CD-ROM, the slave unmounted.
The motherboard has a rev J.4 ROM, with all hardware specified in the Compaq Deskpro 386 technical reference guide(same as AT, with memory bytes mapping at 80c00000h with it's functionality and second PIT with failsafe timer, no FPU and it's I/O ports emulated). All memory holes are fully emulated, all the way up to 4GB(each one shifting it's memory after it to the next area and precious hole's memory, so the 640K-1M to 1M+, 15.4-ROM/remap area(FA0000) before 16M with E0000-FFFFF redirection to after 16MB+(after the previous memory hole's remainder and 3GB-4GB being remapped to 4GB+ with the previous 2 area's remainder, which is currently inaccessable with the 32-bit CPUs(up to Pentium) emulated.

Also, this isn't marvin, as it's still an emulated system(UniPCemu).

Well if you gave more detail in the first place. We are not mind readers. I'd help if it were real hardware. Good luck.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 5, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2020-06-14, 11:31:
Why are you trying to install v2.0, anyway ? :) […]
Show full quote

Why are you trying to install v2.0, anyway ? 😀

From what I remember, it was quickly replaced by v2.1,
which had several advancements, such as 32-Bit drivers (via update) and Windows 3.1 as WIn-OS/2.

Also, did you try both MS and IBM OS/2 1.x, already ?
The IBM version used tripple-faulting to re-enter RM , while the MS version was 386-aware.

That being said, emulating OS/2 is tricky.
It also uses the Ring 2 (for graphics drivers etc), if memory serves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2#Virtualization

I did test(and got running) Windows 3.0-3.11(and WFW 3.1-3.11), Windows 95 RTM and Windows NT 3.1. All those are running properly. NT4 refuses to boot(inaccessable boot device BSOD from HDD installer(winnt) with /b parameter). It's floppies(3 of them) createn with "winnt /ox" crash after starting to boot with a PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED BSOD.
Didn't manage to get OS/2 booting yet so far(can't remember I got any version running properly).

UniPCemu Git repository