VOGONS

First post, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am 99% sure that this is the wrong thread for this, but it's been something bothering me for a while. I have an array of software and books (mostly from the 90s) that go into detail about databases and server setup. However, it seems most of them were instructions for setup with the reader already being proficient in the process itself. I've been looking at using a big standard modern Dell as a server for all my retro needs (file sharing, databases, etc). I've been following AkBKukU and I've been fascinated by all this ancient server tech he handles with (alongside his modern Linux stuff, which I am also clueless). I just want to know how I can learn more about server stuff, without going into all the modern cloud-based jargon I always see being thrown around in tutorials. I want to DO something with my NT 4.0, and transfer files through dozens of apparently incompatible devices. I want horribly ancient switches and obnoxious HDD arrays. It seems amazing to me, but I just don't know where to start. Is there some ancient webpage that helps someone as utterly clueless as I am?

Mods are free to move this wherever they want.

Reply 1 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
11justsomekid wrote on 2020-07-06, 23:41:

I am 99% sure that this is the wrong thread for this, but it's been something bothering me for a while. I have an array of software and books (mostly from the 90s) that go into detail about databases and server setup. However, it seems most of them were instructions for setup with the reader already being proficient in the process itself. I've been looking at using a big standard modern Dell as a server for all my retro needs (file sharing, databases, etc). I've been following AkBKukU and I've been fascinated by all this ancient server tech he handles with (alongside his modern Linux stuff, which I am also clueless). I just want to know how I can learn more about server stuff, without going into all the modern cloud-based jargon I always see being thrown around in tutorials. I want to DO something with my NT 4.0, and transfer files through dozens of apparently incompatible devices. I want horribly ancient switches and obnoxious HDD arrays. It seems amazing to me, but I just don't know where to start. Is there some ancient webpage that helps someone as utterly clueless as I am?

Mods are free to move this wherever they want.

We all have different paths, mine got started reading the MS-DOS 5.0 manual, as a teenager with too much time on his hands .
My recommendations for a retro beginner wanting to get in on 90s tech would be the following books:

a) DOS for Dummies Windows NT 4 for Dummies
b) One of the first five eleven editions of Upgrading and Repairing PCs by Scott Mueller et al. Not sure which one is best . Fourth one (1994) is available online (link removed due to uncertain copyright status) .

EDIT: Sorry, I misread, you are more interested in the Windows NT 4.0 era . I adjusted my response accordingly .

Reply 2 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh I love this crap as well.
As a starting point I'd recommend the server version of whichever Windows OS your familiar with, so if you grew up on XP go with 2003 or Win7 go with 2008.
That way you can get your head around the basics like Active Directory, File Permissions, even things like Exchange server in familiar OS layout.

You can then "downgrade" alot of this knowledge to earlier OS's. It becomes more of where do i do xyz rather then how.

Online info on pre Windows 2003 is all but gone (lucky 2k and 03 is mostly interchangeable) and 2003 is starting to dry up as well. Currently I'm paying with NT 3.51 and had to resort to NT4 books I've got as next to nothing on NT3 exists.
And of course if you get stuck you can ask here, few old sys admins lurking here who are happy to relive the good (or is it bad) old days

Reply 3 of 3, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NT4 is just NT3.51 with a new skin. No need to know about Active Directories at all.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉