VOGONS

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there any method/software in dual booting Windows 95/98, and the MS-DOS OS?

Reply 4 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Muz wrote on 2020-10-19, 07:07:

What kind of software to dual boot it?

If you just want to be able to boot straight into MS-DOS that comes with Windows 98 (MS-DOS 7.1) then you can set up a boot menu configuration as per this post: How to create a boot (start up) menu under Windows 9x/ME

If you still want to boot into an older DOS version (which I don't see the need for), then you need a boot manager. Back in the day I used OS/2 Warp 3's boot manager, but there are better solutions these days.

Reply 5 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jesolo wrote on 2020-10-19, 07:49:

If you still want to boot into an older DOS version (which I don't see the need for), then you need a boot manager.

Win9x can boot one instance of "Previous version of MS-DOS". More than that (or more than one Win9x) and then you need a boot manager.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2020-10-19, 08:13:
jesolo wrote on 2020-10-19, 07:49:

If you still want to boot into an older DOS version (which I don't see the need for), then you need a boot manager.

Win9x can boot one instance of "Previous version of MS-DOS". More than that (or more than one Win9x) and then you need a boot manager.

That is correct, but then you have to deal with issues like FAT16 & FAT32 support and partition size limitations (for earlier versions of DOS).
I also don't like to have two separate OSes (not referring to DOS 7.1 that comes with Windows 98) on the same partition, but that's my preference.

Reply 7 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jesolo wrote on 2020-10-19, 09:00:

That is correct, but then you have to deal with issues like FAT16 & FAT32 support and partition size limitations (for earlier versions of DOS).
I also don't like to have two separate OSes (not referring to DOS 7.1 that comes with Windows 98) on the same partition, but that's my preference.

You don't really have to deal with any issues. If you had DOS6 there to start, it means that at the very least you have a primary partition (C:) which is FAT16. Anything else doesn't matter, because if the total size of the primary + extended exceeds the 7.something gigs, or if you put any FAT32 logical volumes there, DOS6 won't see them anyways.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys