Stupid hardware

Topic actions

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello.

A few months ago I purchased a Pioneer DVD-120 DVD-ROM drive. Well, it works well, but everytime I open/close the tray, the computer stops working for a few seconds (it enters what seems to be a pausing loop). WTF? It really, really annoys me. My LG DVD-RW Writer doesn't display this annoying behaviour (I can swap CDs/DVDs all the time without interfering with normal hardware operation). One side note: LG rewriter is UDMA2 while offendind Pioneer one is UDMA4. Any clues would be really appreciated. I am really starting feeling like dumping it.

Do you recommend any model/brand. I have had not very good luck with LG cd-rom drives so far, ReWriters work superb though.

Reply 2 of 22, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

eL - is it the same with/without a media in the DVD-ROM?

It could be a (long) delay while it tries to recognize the disc.

Have you updated the DVD-ROM to the latest firmware? It could help...

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 22, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make sure you're using the latest drivers for your motherboard chipset brand (probably VIA, nVidia or maybe SiS). Also make sure that you're using an 80-wire IDE cable instead of a 40- wire one. You can also check for firmware upgrades for the drive maybe.

Might just be a piece of crap like you said...

Reply 6 of 22, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Edited key in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002 for the affected chain position [Master/Slave]DeviceTimingMode to be 0xffffffff. Set to PIO only in DevMan and hit OK, then set to DMA if available and hit OK, and was done. Didn't even hafta restart.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 22, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have experienced the behaviour Snover said sometimes under Windows XP. Sometimes IDE devices "lose" their DMA access and return to ancient PIO transfer mode. One easy way to fix it is the manually remove BOTH IDE CHANNELS from hardware manager and reboot. It usually fixes it. Don't know what's producing it though. I've asked that query in several forums and no one has been able to give me an answer.

Well now, regarding my problem:

MiniMax:

* Yes the drive has exactly the same behaviour whether a cd/dvd is inserted or not. So, media types are discarded.

HunterZ:

* My board (ASUS) has a VIA KT333 chipset. I am currently using standard stock Windows XP SP2 IDE/AGP drivers. I will download latest VIA hyperion 4in1 later, and try if they make some difference. I am already using an 80-pin cable. My hard-disk is using UDMA5. Firmware is also updated to latest version. I will also check if UDMA is disabled, but I think it's not.

Well. That's it for now. I am at work now. Will post back later to tell you how it goes. Still, having the feeling that drive is crappy.

Reply 9 of 22, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

I have experienced the behaviour Snover said sometimes under Windows XP. Sometimes IDE devices "lose" their DMA access and return to ancient PIO transfer mode. One easy way to fix it is the manually remove BOTH IDE CHANNELS from hardware manager and reboot. It usually fixes it. Don't know what's producing it though. I've asked that query in several forums and no one has been able to give me an answer.

Windows will initially (e.g. when the Device Manager discover the drive) set it to the fastest supported DMA-mode. Then, if the driver detects transmissions errors, retries, etc, it will gradually lower the speed from DMA 5, to 4, 3, 2 .... until it ends up in PIO-mode.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 22, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I have tried everything I know of but, to no avail.

To begin with, latest VIA 4in1 Hyperion 4.55vp1 only offered me the choice of installing AGP or INF driver. I wasn't interested in anyone of them so I refused to install anything.

I checked the drive properties and windows hardware manager was reporting drive was using UDMA4.

I went to bios and disabled almost everything: Memory 1T mode, Memory bank interleaving, PCI delayed transaction, enabled/disabled block mode (although I know it's for hard-disks only), lower pci latency timer, disabled ECP printer port to free up an IRQ.

Well, as I have stated. NO CHANGE AT ALL. What a crappy drive. 😠

Reply 11 of 22, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have had similar problems against a Yamaha 2100S CD-RW unit. In my case the Event Log contained timeout errors on the SCSI device. I solved my issues my taking the unit apart and cleaning all the crap out of it - and there was a lot in there 😀 No more long delays (causing a pause in Explorer like you've described) when loading CDs.

Reply 17 of 22, by NuclearTes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm no expert, but you might be interested in this topic I found on the net:
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-57714.html

I hope it helps!