First post, by kjliew
I whipped up a version of IPXEMU that enables QEMU to connect to DOSBox IPXNET. It enables playing legacy Windows IPX multiplayer games over Internet. At the moment, I had only tested the following games, but I expected games already supported by IPXEMU should work out-of-the-box. It is technically possible for QEMU to play against DOSBox if the game has compatible DOS and Windows IPX clients but not QEMU DOS to DOSBox, because IPXEMU is a Windows DLL for guest environment. While I have been testing with QEMU, it should also be possible for IPXEMU to work with real machines. However, getting online with Win98 retro-box could be insecure nowadays and most people would avoid the risks. So making QEMU VM connect makes sense, and for ANET/WIPX2 clients, they even work with QEMU slirp user-mode networking backend that (unlike tuntap) requires no root privilege with additional layer of NAT isolation between the host and guest network.
- MW2 Netmech/3Dfx (DirectPlay 1.0) - All Win95 Netmech clients (Pentium edition, 3Dfx, ATI, S3, PowerVR etc.) are claimed to be compatible, but perhaps only Pentium edition and 3Dfx are more likely to work on modern system with QEMU.
- MW2 Mercenaries 1.1 D3D Mercsnet (ANET/WIPX2)
- Titanium MW2 Netmech D3D/Glide (ANET/WPIX2)
- Titanium Mercenaries D3D/Glide MercsNet (ANET/WIPX2)
- Heavy Gear 1.2 D3D (ANET/WIPX2)
- Heavy Gear 2 D3D (ANET/WIPX2)
I have been testing with:
- IPXNET from mech2.org
- Local IPXRELAY hosted on Linux VM. It requires patch to be truly compatible with DOSBox IPXNET server behaviors.
- Local DOSBox as IPXNET server
Other implementation of DOSBox dedicated IPX servers would hopefully work, but untested.
A major milestone for "Very Old Games On Virtual Machine" 😉 for Win9x games.
And, rejoice Mechwarriors! All MW2 games series fully restored with QEMU, including multiplayers over the Internet without intermediary game server providers. There is nothing better than preserving the games with open-source and portable emulation software for modern Windows and Linux.
Use the following configure file to connect to mech2.org
Place WIPXEMU.CFG in the game installed location