VOGONS

Authentic DOS 6.22 Dual booted on newer machines

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by pr04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quickly and straight to the point, here's the rundown:

Pentium 4 3.2GHz HT Prescott (1M L2) installed on Asus P4P800
1024MB PC3200 DDR400 RAM
Motherboard running at 800MHz FSB

1 AGP, 5PCI

AGP: NVidia GeForce 6800GT

PCI
Creative soundblaster Audigy 2ZS (Not recognizable within DOS anyway)
Creative soundblaster 16 PCI (4th PCI slot is reserved IRQ 7)
etc. etc., the rest is not important

THE PROJECT:
Dual booted across 3 partitions on a 370GB HD

1st Partition,
2GB, FAT16 DOS installed

2nd Partition,
250GB, NTFS XP installed

3rd Partition,
120GB, NTFS Backup, who cares 😀

When booting into real-mode DOS 6.22 the system seems fine. So far, for the lack of expertise and current understanding, PCI slots are a b**** to be recognized within DOS, however with my Asus MB I am able to reserve IRQ7 for my sound blaster 16PCI.

Here's the problem,
Even though I can get the IRQ to be recognized at 7, the base address for the slot is 8400 and need 220H (etc.,) in order for the sound card to be detectable and fully compatible with DOS, like the old ISA cards.

My temporary solution,
Install DOSDRV and change the autoexec.bat file so that my sound card is reading 8400 IRQ 7 on startup and change it to 220 IRQ7 when DOS is botted and ready to use. This is not the BEST way to do this because when running the sound configurator for many DOS games, the system crashes because it can not detect anything on base port 220.

So in the middle of some games and when loading, the games crashes with a DOS/4GW error (2100) and I'm ASUMING it's because of either two things:

1)
Either there is a conflict or the sound card is not properly being read by the program (ODSDRV doesn't fully support the installation I am using).

or

2)
The CPU on my 3.2GHz Prescott is making some calls in the games and is not compatible with some functions and crashes.

I am not fully literate when it comes to making this work, but my next task is to take the sound blaster 16 PCI out and not load any drivers in my config.sys or autoexec.bat and see if it crashes. If it does, I can expect that there is a compatibility issue with the new CPUs and old games.

However, if it doesn't, I can then assume that there is still a better way to get my sound card working. Shave off the bugs and completely trick my computer into thinking it's an original ISA? Or find a whole new solutiion.

Please HELP!

Kindest regards,
Phil

Reply 1 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Editted by eL_PuSHeR: MOVING TO PC

I deleted your other topic. It was the same. Please, avoid crossposting.

A few dispersed thoughts:

1) Your CPU may be TOO FAST for ms-dos in general.
2) Try entering bios and disabling plug&play aware OS. It will help assigning "regular" IRQs and Addresses to your sound card. I would choose IRQ5 instead of IRQ7 for SB16. Just a matter of preference than anything else, though. By the way, when setting plug&play aware OS to no (disabled), manually selecting an IRQ may be unnecesary. Just try it and notice what addresses are assigned. You may need also update ESCD on bios (Extended System Configuration Data). You just have to enable this option once.

Please, keep us posted on how it goes.

P.S: If you need to learn more about bios, I recommend you visiting the excellent Adrian Rojak Pot Bios Optimization Guide (or BOG)

Reply 2 of 9, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting... I've also got MS-DOS 6.22 installed on my new box, and it seems to work well. As a matter of fact, I can even run the 3dfx version of Tomb Raider 1, because I've found a Glide2x.ovl for my ancient Voodoo 2 that works with AMD chips. Pretty cool, actually! However, I've only been playing TR1 for a short while, and I can't get sound, because as far as I can see the Realtek ALC 850 AC'97 sound built-in into the chipset doesn't support DOS at all (but I would love to be proven wrong!).

On the bright side, I had no problem at all to get it to recognize the AOpen DVD-ROM player, and the NEC DVD-R writer, because DOS-drivers were available. (Oddly enough, I didn't even need two drivers, as the one driver supports both drives at once.)

The box is a 939 Newcastle AMD 64 3500+ plugged into an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with the nForce 250 Gb chipset, 512 Mb dual channel DDR 400 RAM, an ATI 9600 Pro, and two IDE hard disks, an IBM 40 Gb and a Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 160 Gb. Plus the afore mentioned Voodoo 2, of course, and some other bits and bobs.

Reply 3 of 9, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any of you guys still doing anything like this? I've been thinking about putting together an old box with some old sound cards and 3dfx stuff. However wondering what i can do in a PCI only world and DOS.

I've only just recently discovered that Tomb Raider 1 can actually run in Dos 6.22 without windows or special drivers and run on a VooDoo1 card at 640x480. I think that is way cool. Does anything else do something like this?

Thanks.
-bytes

Reply 4 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have done quite some testing in this regard.

MS DOS 6.22 works just fine on both, a netbook and modern Phenom 2 system. Easiest is to create a bootable USB stick and put your games and drivers onto that.

Games work just fine, speed can be controlled through BIOS if you have a good board (e.g. on a Phenom 2 you can set the FSB to 100 and multi to 1 on some boards so you have a 100 MHz PC). Throttle, which disables L1 cache also works on modern machines.

Getting the PCI sound to work is the real challenge however. In a nutshell they don't implement the necessary bits in the BIOS anymore and it's simply a real pain. I couldn't get any Creative card to work full stop.

So in a nutshell, just stick to DOSBox if you have such a fast machine!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

MS DOS 6.22 works just fine on both, a netbook and modern Phenom 2 system. Easiest is to create a bootable USB stick and put your games and drivers onto that.

I wasn't aware that was possible. Do you need special drivers?

Reply 8 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup FAT16, DOS 6.22, a few games and demos and off you go.

If there was any sound solution that would make the whole thing more interesting.

I have up on finding a PCI sound card that works on a modern AMD chipset mainboard...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel